Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Do-It Yourself *newbie*

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 03:02 PM
tsenior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do-It Yourself *newbie*

Hi All,
I'm new to this forum. I've starting work on my 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan. I plan on replacing the PCV valve, transmission oil, fuel filter and whatever else that needs maintenence/replacement. Since I plan on doing all this myself on my driveeway, can anybody recommend a jack to lift the vehicle? I also want to use the jack for my other car. Also, since I am only getting started with doing my own work, how complex is installing new brake pads? The shop told me that the front pads are 85% worn.

Any/all recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-T

Old 06-04-2007, 10:53 PM
next2pool
Professional
Default RE: Do-It Yourself *newbie*

I would invest in a rolling floor jack. They aren't too expensive and you can find them at Walmart, Autozone, etc. They are more stable than the jacks that come with the car. Regardless--make sure you use jackstands under the car once it is jacked up--it simply is not safe to rely on the jack(s) itself. Another good alternative is a set of steel or plastic ramps--they are very sturdy and convenient, but don't quite have the flexibility that jacks do. The front pads are pretty easy to replace yourself, but you may want to get a shop manual to help with the details, or as an alternative, Autozone has decent on line guides with drawings. I bought a factory shop manual on CD disk on eBay for about $10

Old 06-05-2007, 05:48 AM
haidangwa

I use a Craftsmanfloor jack and jack stands from Sears, but as next2pool mentioned, you can buy floor jacks and jackstands just about anywhere auto parts/tools are sold. I've had many different brands of floor jacks, but the one I'm currently using can lift the car high enough for me to get underneath in about 3 pumps. Then, lowering the vehicle is a single twist of the handle to slowly (or quickly) lower the vehicle.

Front pads should be easy to replace. If all you need are new pads, the job should be about 30 minutes (if that)to do both sides, including taking off the wheels and putting them back on. You should also check the condition of your rotor and caliper while you're down there. If the rotor is warped, replace it. Otherwise, you could take the rotors off and bring them to a machine shop to have them turned. In my neighborhood, the local Shell service station will turn rotors and drums for $15 as long as they're off the vehicle. IMHO, when you buy pads, go with the best that you can afford, because they do most of the work. I, personally, replaced the factory pads with Akebono pads I got from partsamerica.com (website for Schuck's, Kragen, and Checker).

Old 06-05-2007, 04:36 PM
tsenior

Wow. Great suggestions!
haidangwa, if my rotors and calipers look fine, need I take them to a shop to be turned? When would I be required to have my rotors turned? Also, if my brake pads aren't completly worn down, is it safe to say that all I will need to do is replace the brake pads? When would I need to sand my rotors down?

Thanks!
-T

Old 06-06-2007, 01:18 AM
next2pool
Professional

If your brakes don't pulsate as you use them, your rotors should be OK. Mny times however, glaze builds up on the rotors which will reduce the effectiveness. If you decide not to replace the rotors, I would sand them down a bit with a sanding disk on a drill or better yet a sander/polisher. The binders or glues in the pads will deposit themselves on the rotors over time.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:21 PM
tsenior

Very helpful, thank you. I ended up purchasing Bendix brake pads, bought a hydraulic floor jack and jack stands.Any suggestions for removing the lugs from the tires? Should I use the tire arm that came with one of my cars?

Thanks,

-T

Old 06-07-2007, 02:48 AM
next2pool
Professional

Yup--no problem--use the original wrench that is in the jack compartment. I usually raise the verhicle a bit but still leave the tire with some contact with the floor. I then loosen the lugs a bit and then raise the vehicle the rest of the way and remove the lugs at that point.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:53 AM
tsenior

All,
I changed my brake pads! The hardest part was getting the lug bolts off!! I couldn't believe it. I had to use a neighbor's breaker bar and lots of force to move them. On one side of my car, the bolts were stripped and it made it very difficult. I even broked off a part of one of the bolts. I am going to replace two of them. On the driver side I have 3 out of 5 lugs properly placed - HA!! Does anybody know what the lug-bolt is offically called? Can I pick that up from PEP Boys or Advance, or should I go to a Dealer?

Switching out the pads was pretty simple and uneventful. I drove it, and its smooth as can be.

Thanks for all of the help.
-T

Old 06-07-2007, 02:40 PM
next2pool
Professional

Sounds like you are making good progress! The most common name for the nuts are "lug nuts", but some parts stores have various obscure names, but if you go in they will know what you are talking about. The bolts are usually called wheel studs. I've had the studs break on various cars either due to corrosion or overtightening by an impact wrench at a tire store.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:45 PM
tsenior

Is changing the wheel stud complicated?

Quick Reply: Do-It Yourself *newbie*