Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Humming noise

Old 06-05-2007, 06:12 PM
carlosdia
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Humming noise

Have a humming noise coming of the right front tire. It happens when I slightly turn to the right or if hold the steering to the right no matter if I do a full turn (no noise when it goes to the left.

Experts I need some advice before I go to the evil dealership and have to pay with soul!!!

Old 06-05-2007, 09:34 PM
asniff08
Default RE: Humming noise

sounds like it might be a wheel bearing, if it is you'll most likely have to have a shop do it

Old 06-05-2007, 09:50 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran

Does the hum change pitch as you drive? I'd agree with asniff though, if it goes away when turning (or the bearing gets loaded with force) then it probably is a bearing. If you can do front brakes, then a bearing shouldn't be a biggie as these are just bolt-ons. Good luck

Old 06-06-2007, 01:08 AM
next2pool
Professional

I'm not saying it isn't the bearing, but the symptoms are opposite of what normally happens. A bad bearing will show up if you turn in the opposite direction so as to increase the load--ie if you turn left and the noise increases, it will most likely be the RH bearing. It is also possible that the engine mounts are bad, or if you've hit something lately, the cradle may have shifted. You may also want to check your tire wear to see if the edges are rough or serrated, which could be due to misalignmnet.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:37 AM
carlosdia

Thanks for the info. I was told to take it for aligment and that they should be able to identify the problem. I hope is not the bearing, that could mean a few $$$. I had a bearing problem on my other car (2001 pt cruiser) but it never sound it on turning just driving forward at certain speeds.

Thanks again.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:21 AM
alwaysdutch
Rookie

I am not sure how old your van is but I checked to replace mine and it would cost me about $75 per wheel if I install them myself.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:06 AM
carlosdia

Mine is a 2002 Grand Caravan with 65k. Will it be better to take it for aligment and see if they can figure what's wrong?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Humming noise