Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

New alternator now brakes are stronger!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Cliffdodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New alternator now brakes are stronger!

I changed my alternator as a preventative maintenance and now the van drives much lighter but the biggest improvement was the stronger brakes. I thought this was strange because I thought the powerfrompowerbrakes is from the vacuum of the engine. The knocking soundthat I use to hearis also gone.

This might not matter but last year I changed my battery to Optima when the van would not start because of a dead battery.

Anybody have the same experience?

Old 06-06-2007, 06:59 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain
Default RE: New alternator now brakes are stronger!

humm who told u to replace your alt ne way?? I have been a tech for 11 plus years and i have replaced them only 4 times and that was because of noise or some one had messed with it and shorted it out.
Plus u know why them brakes feel better? its called the placebo effect. =)

Old 06-07-2007, 02:16 PM
D0TC0M

You changed your altenator for preventive maitenance reasons???? Are you saying you changed your perfectly working altenator for no reason except you were afraid it would fail? WHY?

Old 06-07-2007, 04:20 PM
alwaysdutch
Rookie

Well guys, I have done that too. Not the alternator but the water pump and oil pump. Nothing is as crappy as getting these parts out. I replaced the timing belt and decided not to go back in there for a while.....

Old 06-08-2007, 02:22 AM
Cliffdodge

I have a hunch that the alternator was failing but I there was no engine light yet. The headlights would get dim on idle and get stronger when rpm is higher the same with the a/c fan. For one thing I do not want to get stuck on the side of the road for something I could have prevented.

Going back to the brakes I was wondering if the ABS electrical system have something to do with the brakes being stronger. On the other thought maybe the Optima battery that I put in was probably compensating somewhat for the alternator.

As for the placebo effect comment I do not take that lightly. I haveother cars which I modify so any improvement or the opposite I can usually tell.

Quick Reply: New alternator now brakes are stronger!