Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Charging problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 07:13 PM
bdglasgow
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging problem

Our 1995 Plymouth Voyager SE 3.3 voltage guage slowly dropedas we drove it. I got it home and recharged the battery and had the battery and the alternator testedat the local parts store. I also changed out the battery with another vehicle as I don't trust battery tests. I also checked all 4 wires to the alternator for continuity to each destination.

Any ideas why it still isn't charging?
Is it possible the engine control module is bad? [] [:-]

Old 06-07-2007, 01:48 PM
chopper
Veteran
Default RE: Charging problem

Get a digital voltmeter or multimeter.
Test the battery yourself by touching the leads of the voltmeter to the proper terminals of the battery.(red or + to positive,black to - or negative)
You should have a reading of around 12.5 volts DC on a battery thats been sitting for at least eight hours.Testing a battery that is in a car thats just been shut off is almost meaningless,although hooking a voltmeter to a battery after the car has been shut down and seeing the reading quickly drop can be an indication of problems.
The voltmeter shouldgive a reading of 13.5 to 14 .5 VDC when theengine is running with everything turned on,lights,fan,radio,everything electrical.If the voltmeterreading drops as things are turned on and goes up as things are tuned off,it's agood sign that the alternator is dying.A dying alternatorcan also pull down an otherwise healthy battery and a dying battery can pull down a perfectly good alternator.
Testthe parts yourself! Parts stores are in the buisness of selling batteries and alternators to people who don't.

I have one of these battery minder/desufators and,so far it's working as advertised.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...er11-11671.php

Undercharging automobile batteries is the leading cause of failure.
Each time the engine is started,it takes thirty minutes to an hour to completely recharge the battery.Any less than that might start the engine the next time but the effects are cumulative and the battery's life will be cut short.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:56 PM
bdglasgow
Default RE: Charging problem

Chopper,
Thanks.. Did as you suggested... Results are.. Battery 12.45V and charging system on vehicle with battery connected is 11.9V.. when I disconnect the battery the voltage drops to about 9.. then dies..

I'll remove the alternator and replace it as it seems to be bad... but the store tested it before and said it was fine.

If anyonehas more ideas please let me know.. thanks

Quick Reply: Charging problem