Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Crank, no start problem 1998 4 cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 03:43 AM
ricardobs84
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank, no start problem 1998 4 cylinder

Ok, this is my problem. The SERVICE ENGINE SOON light came on, so I figured it was the fuel filter since it was the only thing that had not been replace in the las year/6 months. While taking out the return hose from the fuel pump I accidently broke the little plastic piece that comes out of the fuel pump. Well.. I tried to glue it back with just about everything(superglue, epoxy and JB weld).. at the end I got one from the junkyard for $65.
When I tried to start the car it woulnd't start, only crank until the battery died. I thought that fuel wasn't getting to the engine for some reason, so I sprayed alittle bit of fuel into the intake manifolf but nothing changed. I checked the spark and there wasn't any for any of the cylinders. I check the resistance at the coiland the secondary was within specs and the primary was slightly over specs(0.7-0.8 ohms and the maximun allowed is 0.65 ohms.
Now, I have two questions. First, is there enough resistance to justify changing the coil??
Second, after checking the coil where should I go?? I was reading the repair manual and says that I should check the coil pack electrical conector with a test light and probe the conector terminals of diffenret colors. The problem is that the conector that I have doesn't have any colors(I have a 2.4L 4 cyl) and I not sure where to probe.

I think I may have a problem with the PCM, because the car won't start sometimes, but when I take out the startes relay and use my DMM as a relay it will star all the time. starter, safety neutral, ignition switch and fuse box were replaced... plus the car had an accident at the front left side about 6 years ago.

Please, if any can help that would be great(specially with pics of where to probe). I'm buying a $250 VW fox... relaible and cheap!!

Old 06-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain
Default RE: Crank, no start problem 1998 4 cylinder

the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light came on, so I figured it was the fuel filter since it was the only thing that had not been replace in the las year/6 months. That was the first mistake what was the code for ne way????

Old 06-10-2007, 05:48 PM
ricardobs84

Took the car to autozone to have it checked with the scanner and no codes came out. They told me that codes come out only with the CHECK ENGINE light, not the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light. They said that it was probably a dirty filter or that I needed an oil change.
Before that the car started to stall unless I had my foot on the gas.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:46 AM
Dodge Tech
Captain

chrysler does not have 2 different check engine lights only one, service engine soon and check engine light is the same thing.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:04 AM
ricardobs84

REALLY?? [:-] Guess that you don't need to know much to work at autozone then..

At least the car made it to my house..

How would you check the PCM?? Should I take to the dealer or can I do it with my multimeter??

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:17 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain

well what do u want to check out?? u still dont know what the code is the pcm has over 80 different wires
with different volts or ohms or ground ckts so u tell me what u would like to check out.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:07 PM
ricardobs84

I tried to do the ON-OFF thing to see if it would throw any codes, but it either didn't work or there wasn't any codes. Probably no codes, because I just put back the battery and the car hasn't run in almost amonth now. It's ON-OFF-ON-OFF and then ON... then the check engine light should blink the code number, right?

I checked the ASD relay just in case.. checked out fine.

The repair manual says to check the cam and crank sensors, but I need an scanner for that. I'm thinking about buying one of those cheapWalmart scanners, but I probably won't get anything if the car is not running.

I want to check the coil driver circuit, but therepair manual is not clear about how to do it with the 4 cyl. I thinkI just have to probe it with a test light while some is cranking it, right??

What would you recommend Dodge Tech??

Old 06-12-2007, 08:41 PM
ricardobs84

Nothing??? I'm really low on funds and don't want to go to the repair shop if I can fix it myself.

Quick Reply: Crank, no start problem 1998 4 cylinder