Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Strut installed incorrectly?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 09:16 PM
dredwin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut installed incorrectly?

So I spent Friday installing new struts (and shocks but those were easy) on my 98 Grand Caravan (3.3L). I had some is issues with the Monroe strut mate boots...eventually used the old/original bootone on one of the struts.

So, I think I installed it correctly (I did and undid it like 2-3 times on each strut...first I forgot the bottom rubber gasket thing the spring sits on...then I installed the Strut bumper wrong...or so I thought). Anyway, I though it looked good...most importantly, the spring is in the orginal position (I was smart enough to mark the spring and the postion of the old strut).

So I am test driving it after thinking I fixed the problem and it sounds like a little thump...from the top of the strut.I am guessing I didn't align it up correctly (this is the one with the new strut boot) and had issues with the strut and the cap.

I read other threadstalking about the sway bar bushing (I don't think it is that since my bushings looked good).Wouldthe sway bar links (which looked fine but I am not sure about the inside...is is just rubber?)

Or do I just need to tear it apart, use the original strut bumper/cover and make sure it is aligned properly.

Chime in with your opinions.

Thanks

Old 06-12-2007, 01:35 AM
Dodge Tech
Captain
Default RE: Strut installed incorrectly?

links and bushing probs are on newer vans not yours

Old 06-12-2007, 06:10 PM
dredwin

Thanks Dodge Tech...you seem to be very knowledgeable and helpful with everyone's questions.(based on other replies).

Old 06-15-2007, 03:22 PM
dredwin

Update: I took off the strut again (and again) and finally figured out that problem. I guess I hadn't tightened the nut (on the top of the strut) enough so when I hit a bump, it rattled around.

Iused an impact wrench, grabbed a hold of the strut with my hand (so I wouldn't scratch the surface of the piston) and tightened it up...pretty much until I got blisters and couldn't holdit without it spinning on me).

Quick Reply: Strut installed incorrectly?