Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Transmission fluid Change

Old 06-15-2007, 01:59 PM
tsenior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission fluid Change

All, I want to do a routine transmission fluid change on my 2000 Grand Carvan. Is this different than a transmission flush? Are there any good resources on the net for directions? What tools will I need? Any instruction/direction is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-T

Old 06-15-2007, 07:21 PM
next2pool
Professional
Default RE: Transmission fluid Change

A transmission oil change involves removing the pan (very messy since there is no drain plug) . You then replace the filter and reseal the pan and bolt it up. The original seal is robot applied rtv. You can clean it off and RTV it yourself. Many of the filter kits come with a pan gasket--I think I would use RTV. The downside is that the oil in the cooler lines and torque convertor don't get renewed this way. A flush is a complete exchange of fluid using a pump hooked up to a cooler line. The downside to a flush is that the filter usually doesn't get changed. Additionally many shops won't flush high mileage units because transmission failure commonly ocurrs shortly after that. Do a google search on trans flush and you will find the reason and substantiation to the high mileage failures after a flush.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:56 AM
tsenior

Thanks next2pool. This is great info. I did somesearching around and I found this article: http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/under_hood/63608
I will defer to dropping the pan instead of the flush even though my van has 93,000 miles based on all the articles I read. Now I have to find a filter/gasket kit, a waste oil pan, and recommended transmission fluid. Any recommendations? Also, what is RTV? Is that weatherstripping?
Will any oil + lube center dispose of my transmission fluid?

Thanks!
-T

Old 06-17-2007, 02:57 PM
next2pool
Professional

RTV is a generic term for sealer in a tube. There are dozens of types for different applications. It is usually silicone based. If you go to Autozone, Checker, Napa, etc you will see a wide variety of types, Use the kind called Gasket maker--it is usually blue. Do not use it with a gasket--use either or. As far as oil disposal, most Autozones will accept used oil no questions asked. Others may as well, but it varies.

Old 06-17-2007, 03:03 PM
next2pool
Professional

OOPS--I forgot to mention that these transmissions require the approved Chrysler trans fluid. Off hand I can't remember the correct designation but it seems it is ATF 3 and ATF 4, but do a little searching on this forum regarding that subject--don't use a generic ATF fluid even though it may be labelled as OK for Chrysler automatics.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:31 PM
dirtmover
Amateur

The factory service manualprocedure for no flushis todrop the pan, refill and change filter, drive it to circulate the new fluid, drop the pan again and refill. This way you are left with an appx75:25% mix of new to old fluid.

I use an extractor to pull the fluid through the dipstick hole. It makes dropping the pan a lot cleaner and you only need todrop it once to get to the filter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission fluid Change