Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

inner and outer tie rod end replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 12:08 PM
jpistos
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default inner and outer tie rod end replacement

The front end alignment guy says my left inner and right outer tie rod ends are bad, cost is $340.
I checked another place, they can do it for $240, including the alignment.
Not alot of spare cash right now, are these parts hard to replace?
Can I just jack up the front end, take off the tires and remove/replace the parts or is it more complicated? Any special tools?
I remember doing this on another car awhile ago - differerent type, wasn't too bad, no special tools or skills, just needed to take it in for a FEA when I was done. But that was BC!

Old 06-21-2007, 12:27 PM
jc13
Default RE: inner and outer tie rod end replacement

How old is your van? A week after I drove my van off the lot brand new, I heard a creaking noise when starting and stopping. The dealer replaced the right outer tie rod end; said it was corroded. Hope this is not a problem in the future.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:15 PM
jpistos

Oops stupid me. 1996 3.8L. Ended up taking it to a mechanic instead of the tire store, that should teach me. Bailed on the DIY option due to time factor, need to use the car soon, but would appreciate feed back on how hard it is (for next time). Just a little torqued thinking I just spent big$$$ for something I could probably do myself. jc13: I can't believe a brand new tie rod would be corroded!

Old 06-21-2007, 10:39 PM
jc13

I couldn't believe it was corroded either. The only thing I can think of is it sat on the dealer lot for 5 months. It was manufactured in mid December '06 and we took delivery mid May '07.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:10 PM
UM_Rugger

Does anyone have any advice on replacing the right outer tie-rod end (2002 Dodge Durango 2WD)? The front, right tire was wearing funny on the outside so I took it for an alignment check. Was shown that the wheel could be pushed back and forth and the tie-rod end was loose at the attachement. I called another mechanic and asked whether a replacement was necessary and was told that it could possibly be tightened up instead of replaced. what do you guys recommend?

The shop claims that this will take 1.3 hours, part, and alignment = 260 bucks.

Does one hour sound reasonable for a fairly unskilled but determined mechanic??

Old 09-08-2007, 08:22 AM
jpistos

Shade Tree Mechanic Rule #57:
Always allow a full day for first something that takes a pro 1 hour. You may want to consider replacing both sides? If I remember correctly the outers are easier than the inners. You still need to take it in and have it aligned afterwards.

Quick Reply: inner and outer tie rod end replacement