Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

I did a dumb thing...BCM?

Old 06-21-2007, 09:41 PM
caravanagain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I did a dumb thing...BCM?

A couple of months ago I decided to clean the carpet in the front of my 99 GC in the same manner that I used with my 92 Ford Aerostar. I went to the car wash, parked close to the wall so the van was tilted sideways a bit and sprayed the carpeting with the carwash hose. In the Aero the water would just run out the drivers' door sill. Big mistake with the GC!

Since then I have lost all my climate control and rear wiper functions. What did I fry out? I really need to get this fixed on the cheap, if possible.

Currently all the engine heat is blowing into the cabin and I can't shut it off. Made for a toasty trip to S. Carolina. We had to cover all the vent openings with paper towels to ward off the excessive heat!

I really need some input here. If I fried a component that can be purchased off Ebay and easily replaced I will be very happy. Please tell me I will be happy...

Someone suggested it was the Body Control Module, but when I looked for it on Ebay the seller stated that the BCM on the 99 was located by the fuse junction in the engine compartment. I didn't hose out the engine compartment, though.

What's up?

Old 06-21-2007, 09:57 PM
next2pool
Professional
Default RE: I did a dumb thing...BCM?

The BCM on a 99 is located on the lower LH side below the instrument panel inside. It is left of the column and beside or slightly behind the fuse box. It has two large plugs coming out the bottom and is sort of a bear to get to. It does sound like you got it wet. Have you tried disconnecting the battery and seeing if the BCM may reset? Many of these electronic components do eventually come back to life, like wet cell phones, but they do better if the power is shut down. You do see these on eBay or you can go to a pick and pull, but I think the experts say that it has to be programmed to your car. Good luck!!

Old 06-21-2007, 10:34 PM
caravanagain

Thank you so much for the reply!

On our way to S.C. (as we were sweltering) we made a pit stop and a kind young man, who also happened to be a mechanic, came over and pulled the panel in the location you mentioned. He said that due to the water damage the vent that opens and shuts to contol the heat flow was stuck in the open position. Would that also point to a BCM malfunction?

I will have my old man disconnect the battery tonight and re-connect it in the morning to see if that might help. I will hail you as King of BCM if it works! [sm=hail.gif]

Still, any other input or advice will be much appreciated...

Old 06-21-2007, 10:42 PM
caravanagain

Oh also, a few months after my "dumb thing" the radiator started dumping fluid. I found a lovely puddle of green on the driveway one morning so added water. The radiator was almost dry as well as the overflow. Had to add coolant for the next 3 days and now all seems to be fine.

Is this a thermostat problem, and could it be related to the BCM problem? Obviously I know squat about auto mechanics, but I work with guys that have basic knowledge. They are whom I derive my questions from.

Again, Thanks...in advance.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:44 AM
next2pool
Professional

No--there is no way that overflow from the radiator is related to the BCM--yes I suppose the BCM may affect the cooling fans, but there are many other reasons--for now i would put that issue on hold

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I did a dumb thing...BCM?