Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

serpintine belt

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 08:19 PM
Jimmer56
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default serpintine belt

I have a 2000 Grand Caravan with 3.8L V6 and both front and rear A/C. My A/C clutch went out and I purchased a new one. Looks to me like I have to loosen or remove my serpintine belt to get the pulley off. Am I on track here or not? Also is there anyway to get the clutch to engage if the system is low on freon? Used to be able to just jumper the low side switch out, but I'm not sure on any of these newer A/C systems. thanks for any/all help.

Jimmer

Old 06-26-2007, 09:02 PM
next2pool
Professional
Default RE: serpintine belt

Yes-you need to relieve the tensioner spring and then pull the belt off the idler and AC compressor pulley. Unfortunately, this system uses a pressure transducer to affect both high and low pressure conditions to the engine computer so you cannot just jumper it. You could however apply 12v directly to the compressor coil AFTER you first disconnect the terminal so you do not back feed the circuit.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:19 PM
dirtmover
Amateur
Default RE: serpintine belt

Also is there anyway to get the clutch to engage if the system is low on freon?
You can pull the lid off the relay and manually close it to energise the clutch.

Quick Reply: serpintine belt