Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1995 3.0 liter. Doesn't stay running

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 04:11 AM
seikojin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 3.0 liter. Doesn't stay running

This caravan has 170k+ miles on it. The alternator may have been changed. The transmission was serviced several years ago.
A couple of weeks ago it would not start. We knew the battery may be old as it was swapped with a trolling battery for a fishing boat. We were able to get it jumped, and it would stay running, even with the battery disconnected (negative post). After driving it around, the minivan would start, but if left alone for 48 hours, the battery would lose its charge and we wouldn't be able to start it without another jump.
So we replaced the battery.

Now it started, we went to the post office, and trying to leave it had a hard time starting. We continued to the library and discussed how we saw flickering clock and dash lights. We didn't stop the engine at the library and headed home.
We checked again to see if the engine would stay running without needing the battery; and it ran without the battery connected. We waited a few minutes and tried to start it again, and it wouldn't stay running. It would start, but it was like the idle was lost from removing the battery while it was running.
We went out and started it, pulled back, then pulled forward, resetting the idle, and it stayed running.

Now at this time we need some help figuring out what could be causing this. It has been at least 5 years since the last tune-up, so there could be that. I am suspecting age and wear and tear on things like the plugs, the fuel filter, the serpentine belt, and possibly the alternator. But I would likea more educated opinionon the symptoms of these kinds of issues. So what would the symptoms of spark plugs being old or ready to die be? Same with the fuel filter, or pump... The serpentine belt...

Thanks for your responses if I don't answer right away.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:56 PM
haidangwa
Default RE: 1995 3.0 liter. Doesn't stay running

I think you're answering your own question. Two things you always want to do when troubleshooting things like this: Does it have spark? Does it have fuel? So, yes, you should start by making sure the engine is properly tuned up to eliminate any of those elements aspossible causes. Check out: http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm.

Old 07-01-2007, 02:20 PM
computerpulse
Default RE: 1995 3.0 liter. Doesn't stay running

Sounds like your Alternator

Quick Reply: 1995 3.0 liter. Doesn't stay running