Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

98 Grand Caravan - seems stuck in 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 12:20 AM
rtucker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Grand Caravan - seems stuck in 1st gear

HI - I was headed out of my driveway when the van started to not really move when I pressed the gas. I pressed harder and the tachometer went up to 3 or so and went back down and i started going. I figured maybe I put it in drive too quick or something so i kept going and it did it again at the corner so I started driving straight to get to a place to turn around and it wouldn't let me go more then maybe 5 mph, 10 at most... and evertime I had to stop to take a corner it would do the same thing. I was on the top of a very small hill and it actually started rolling back a bit (it's an automatic). then i pressed gas again and it did the same thing. Finally I got it back to my house but now I'm wondering what is up with this thing and is it safe to drive the mile-1.5 miles to garage....

it's a 98 grand caravan 3.3L automatic trans w/ 152k on it.

we were planing to bring it in for an oil change this week as we're like 1000 over but it doens't seem like oil would cause what it was doing but it's too dark now to check it anyway.

i'm really hoping its not the transmission. my sister has cars die on her all the time in the past and she said it sounds like maybe the catalyc (sp??) converter....

ideas? suggestions? should i tow it or try to drive 5 mph to the shop?

thx
Rae

Old 07-05-2007, 12:38 PM
autoguru77
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 98 Grand Caravan - seems stuck in 1st gear

First thing to do would be to check your transmission fluid!!!

Quick Reply: 98 Grand Caravan - seems stuck in 1st gear