Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

strut mount nut removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 03:53 PM
shooter1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strut mount nut removal

newbie to this forum although i've owned my 99 3.8 L for over 6 years, the only things gone wrong so far are starter and ignition switch.
i'm trying to swap my front struts but cant find the right tool to access the 13/16 nut on top.

i got a universal strut mount nut removal kit but it only has a 3/4 inch adapter.

Chrysler doesnt sell the tool, and everyone else seems to only stock the GM tool (ie jobber shops). what's up with that?

any suggestions would be much appreciated. the replacement strut comes with another 13/16 nut so i have no choice.
thanks in advance,
Wayne in Calgary

[/align]

Old 07-07-2007, 02:06 AM
dredwin
Default RE: strut mount nut removal

If you are talking about that nut on top of the strut, I had the same issues with not finding the tool.

Talked to the auto parts store guys and they suggested using an impact wrench. I bought an electric one from Harbor Freight Tools for $40.

You will need to grip the strut piston, real hard, with your hand and it will come off. You'll get a blister or two (depending on how many times you have to put it on and off). Don't use pliers since it will damage the shaft. I used short blasts since I couldn't hold the piston still that long.

I would suggest you make sure you tighten it up real good...if it isn't tightened well, it will make a clunking sound. If you get Monroe struts, I'dsuggestre-using the bellow/strut cover. I bought the Strut Matebellows/bumpers from Monroe and they sucked...ended up not staying on and I eventually used the old ones.

Good luck

Old 07-07-2007, 07:38 AM
shooter1

Thanks for taking the time with your advice Dredwin!
i ended up not being able to find the tool, and i dont have an impact wrench nor the impact socket in that size, so i took the parts to Canadian Tire and they swapped the new components on for $100 (i supplied the parts). guess i'll take back the spring compressors i bought for the job...
funny thing, when i took the struts home to install, the mounts werent aligned with the holes in the housing, so i took them back. they called and said i just had to turn the mount to get it to align up .... duh!

this is my first vehicle with struts - i drive old Saab 900's exclusively and so different world....
i did the rear drum brakes on the Caravan and am now doing driveshafts, struts, rotors and pads as well as fluid flushes and i'm actually impressed how easy struts are to get out of the vehicle. i cant believe the price the shop quoted me to do the struts...they must make a ton of money constantly doing these Caravans over and over, in lightning speed.
thanks again and good luck to you too!
Wayne in Calgary

[/align]

Old 07-09-2007, 09:59 PM
dredwin

The outrageous labor costs are the reason I try to do most of my repairs myself. My caravan is old so I am not super worried about breaking it more...something I was worried about when I first bought it. Most of the things are fairly easy to do...just need the tools and the time. Having a forum like this and getting advice from other folks who really know what they are doing helps.

I used to hate my van for all the minor issues it was having...but after reading some other people's stories, I am pretty pleased with my van. It has 162,000 miles and the only big thing that went wrong (knock on wood) was the tranny went out at 100K. But I take it on 1000 mile road trips without really worrying about it breaking down.

Glad you got it fixed...even though you spent $100 to have someone else install it, you still saved a lot of money. And you also learned you can twist the top to align with the holes

Old 05-23-2008, 09:33 AM
e1mariem

You can get the Chrysler tool here:

http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?P...mp;ProdID=9056

it's a little pricey, but works great.

Quick Reply: strut mount nut removal