Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

steering wheel radio controls

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 06:19 PM
rustyedge
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default steering wheel radio controls

Recently traded my 96 Caravan for an 07 GC. I really like the new one but one thing bugs me. The volume control for the radio on the back of the steering wheel is on the right side. How dumb is that? When your cruising down the highway with a cell phone or beverage in your right hand and steering wheel in your left, there is no way to quickly lower the volume. It makes better sense to me to have the volume control on the left side.

Does anyone know how to switch the wires so the volume works from the left and the seek works from the right? There has to be a way to do this.

Thanks.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:34 PM
haidangwa
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: steering wheel radio controls

What makes better sense is to drive with both hands on the wheel and no distractions from cell phones and such.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:54 PM
rustyedge
Amateur

If we weren't supposed to drink and drive (non-alcohol of course) why all the cup holders?

Old 07-06-2007, 01:50 AM
Dodge Tech
Captain

its not a matter of switching wires but changing teh mux signal to the BCM. Eash switch has its onw restance value for up ,down,change and so on. The bcm will read what voltage is sent back to it and it knows from that what u want done.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:36 PM
rustyedge
Amateur

So, I wonder if you can remove the steering wheel and just swap the two controls wires and all? If I get some free time I'llpull it off and report back what I find.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:32 AM
Dodge Tech
Captain

I just told u its not wires is restance built into the switches. Eash opperation from what ever u press on a switch is a restance that the 5 volts going through sends back to the BCM the voltage drop and the BCM knows based off that what u are requesting.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:06 PM
rustyedge
Amateur

SUCCESS!

Let me tell you Mr Dodge Tech and all my other Dodge friends how it's done.

1.) disconnect the battery
2.) remove the air bag assembly from the steering wheel.
3.) remove the center bolt of the steering wheel and remove the counterweight or whatever that thing is.
note: thereis really no need to remove the steering wheel, but if you have a puller go ahead as this will
makethe procedure easier.
4.) remove the 4 screws that hold the back plastic steering wheel cover. this will just allow you move the
cover around to re-route the wires.
5.) pull the small wiring disconnects off the two radio controls on the back of the steering wheel.
6.) pull the two switches out of the steering wheel.
7.) re-route the wires so the left side is now right and right side is now left.
8.) snap the switches back in the steering wheel. put the switch you pulled from the left in the right and
right in left. note: you will have to put them in upside down in order to hook the wires back up.
9.) hook the wires back up. There is room and they will go.
10.) re-assemble the steering wheel making sure no wires get pinched. hook the battery back up.

Note: since the switches had to go in upside down, the top of the switch lowers the volume and bottom raises it, just like the other side, top seek down, bottom seeks up. No big deal.

Quick Reply: steering wheel radio controls