Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

removing DS CV axle on 99 3.8L - not easy

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 08:44 PM
shooter1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing DS CV axle on 99 3.8L - not easy

i tried with a couple of pry bars but couldnt get purchase anywhere on theinner flange.
i got the PS out easy as pie.

are there any tricks to this? i rented a pull- hammer from a parts place but wonder if that's the solution.

the Haynes manual pic shows there's a gap to get a pry bar in between the CV axle and the tranny case, but on my van there's no such gap and the three little ridges on the outside of the flange just arent enough to get a grip on with a pry bar.

the pull hammer has a 3 arm gear puller but i'd have to pop the boot off the inner flange to get the shaft out of the way. or i could attach the slide hammer to the end of the shaft but wouldnt the tripod bearing just come out of the inner flange?
thanks
Wayne in Calgary

[/align]

Old 07-12-2007, 03:35 PM
next2pool
Professional
Default RE: removing DS CV axle on 99 3.8L - not easy

I would try a "pickle fork" that is designed for this purpose. It is a bar with two tapered prongs that will slip between the joint housing and the case. You then hammer it so it wedges between the two and it should pop out. You need to be carefull with a regular pry bar since it can crack the case and it also can tend to **** the joint making it more difficult to get out. These forks are available at good tool supply places but may also be available for rent at places like Autozone--they may not recognize the name of it though.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:31 PM
RickMN
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you going to replace the axle? If so, go ahead and tear the inner boot off and remove the whole shaft. Then mount a vise grips to the "tulip" part of the CV joint and attach a slide hammer. It will pop right out. That's how you have to do them on Mazda 626's where you can't get anything behind the inner joint to pry it out.

Old 07-14-2007, 01:07 AM
Johnroot

both shafts come out by just pulling on them but first you have to remove the axle nut, jackvan up remove tire,sway bar bolts on the control arm and cross member then take the ball joint loose when you do this it just pulls out.

Old 07-14-2007, 03:24 AM
RickMN
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Johnroot, I had assumed he already disconnected the axle nut and ball joint. Maybe that was too big a leap in logic.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:58 PM
shooter1

Thanks guys i eventually got it out by putting vice grips on the shaft and then using part of the slide hammer to shock it out of its hole.
Wayne in Calgary

[/align]

Quick Reply: removing DS CV axle on 99 3.8L - not easy