Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Spark Plug brand recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 09:17 PM
jpistos
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plug brand recommendations?

1996 3.8 Time to replace the plugs and need a brand recommendation. Was at the parts store today and ready to buy Bosch platinums (all my other cars have used them, but they weren't Dodge). The guy said don't use Bosch on domestic, he recomended Autolite. Also Champion double platimums are OEM? For the extra $2, compared w/ the fun I'm going to have swapping them suckers on the back side, I want a GOOOOOOOOOOOD plug.....

Old 07-08-2007, 04:40 AM
haidangwa
Default RE: Spark Plug brand recommendations?

any reason why Bosch wouldn't be good for domestic? Just curious, 'cuz I've always used Bosch plugs, but that was when I owned Japanese cars. Now, I'm a domestic owner.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:40 PM
jpistos

I don't know, he just said Bosch are best for European, NGK for Japanese cars.

Old 07-08-2007, 02:52 PM
haidangwa

Hmmm...sounds like your parts guy's recommendation is based onbrand's country of origin: NGK (Japanese company) for Japanese cars, Bosch (European company) for European cars, and Autolite/Champion for domestics. IMHP, I'd think plugs would be more or less universal.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:42 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain

CHRYSLER CHAMPION PLAT ONLY

Old 07-10-2007, 01:06 PM
jpistos

Thanks Dodge Tech, I'll go Champion Double Plats.
I'm really surprised this didn't start a plug war with all the options & opinions out there now, but I just want to put the best plugs in there that will last a long, long, long, long, long time, especially #1. I'll report back after the fact to provide abusted knuckle & bad word count.....

Old 07-17-2007, 10:23 PM
jpistos

OK, the front three took about 15 minutes and the back three took about 3.5 hours. But that included new wires, dab of elect lube, gapping, lil' never seize, and just spending some quality time on my back w/ my left arm up on the guts of that beast wondering who in the h-e-double toothpicks at Dodge thought this was a good idea....
Actually did NOT have to do what the Haynes manual says (remove intake strut, alternator, wiper shroud, ....engine (j/k about the last one)) or what I've read on this forum. I did take the serpentine belt off in anticipation of removing the alternator bracket, but didn't need to. Maybe moving the plug wires out of the way gave me the extra room. All I needed was the spark plug socket, a short extension, a short woble and a short ratchet. The ratchet just cleared the intake strut and I was able to reach up far enough for #1 . The wire harness was in the way a bit. Happiness was getting the socket on #1 and feeling it break lose and pure joy radiated when I had the new one seated home. I also used ramps and a creeper, plus some boat cushions to support my neck.
Also changed the fuel filter, that was entertaining; Step 1 disconnect neg bat terminal and depressurize fuel system. Step 2 crawl under car, lower fuel tank on top of stomach. Step 3 disconnect filter. Step 4 reconnect filter quickly, lift fuel tank back up and crawl out from under car to wipe of fuel spilled all over body and get empty coffee can left on work bench.....

Old 07-17-2007, 11:34 PM
RickMN
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second Dodge Tech's advice on Champions. Bosch +2 and +4 can cause problems because their gap is different than the manufacturer's spec and it's not adjustable. That can cause misfire problems. The supposed advantage is that the multiple electrodes "sacrifice" themselves as they wear. So as the gap increases between the center and one side electrode, the spark simply moves over to the next closest electrode. If you want to read more on plugs, check this article: http://free-auto-repair-advice.blogs...label/Platinum

Quick Reply: Spark Plug brand recommendations?