Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Air Bag light

Old 07-08-2007, 12:50 AM
MarkBall
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Bag light

Have a '96 Plymouth (I know it's not a Dodge) Grand Voyager that has a constant Air Bag light on. Checked all the fuses, they look good.

Also the cruise doesn't work, nor does the horn. I've been researching this and keep getting references to something called "Clockspring". From what I gather, it's the wires running from the steering wheel, down the column.

My question is, is there a way to test this, or does it just get replaced? And how does it get replaced.... without taking the whole column out of the vehicle. I did take off the cover that holds the airbag, but it doesn't look like there are any connections to unplug or corrode.

Any help is appreciated.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:39 AM
Dodge Tech
Captain
Default RE: Air Bag light

the clock spring is a lifetime warranty from chrysler call them up and ask them for the recall b24

Old 07-08-2007, 10:57 AM
MarkBall
Rookie

I read about the recall, it's for vans with 70,000 miles or less. Mine has 140,000 on it.

I can change it if I know for sure that's the problem.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:41 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain

the recall up to 70k they replace it no matter what over 70k they wont replace it unless the driver side squib ckt is open. and air bag light on. it's still covered for lifetime of the van.Call a dealer.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:10 PM
MarkBall
Rookie

Is there a test I can perform at home to see if the drivers side circuit is open? Or would that show up as a trouble code in the computer?

Reason I'm asking is I've been reading where lots of dealers want to charge $75-100 to just hook-up, then up to $300 to fix it. I can get the parts for about $65 & do the work myself for much less. And right now I have the time.

Whole history, the Air Bag light had been coming on when first started (bought with 69k on the clock) then would go out, then began staying on until put into gear (about 95k miles). I had honked the horn last month (135k miles) & nothing works since, complete with Air Bag light on constantly. No cruise, no horn, no nothing. During my research,I found an answerthat seems logical, replace the clockspring.I can get the part at the local auto parts house& replace it myself.

I used to turn wrenches for a living so pulling it apart, putting it back together isn't a problem. And currently between jobs, so I have time. I just don't want to spend upwards of $300-400 to fix a problem I can fix myself at a much more reasonable price.

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain

LIFE TIME WARRANTY need i say it again. They can not charge u for a recall of a part that is life time warranty FOREVER. U have an open in the driver side squib if u ahve no horn air bag light on and no speed control its OPEN. If u want a test take it to a shop that has a scanner that can get into the air bag system and get them to pull the codes and it will say DRIVER SIDE SQUIB OPEN. And then u can take it to the dealer and they can replace it for free. Read it for yourself attached is the TSB from chryslers Tech connect web site that all chryslker,dodge,jeep techs use.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:44 PM
MarkBall
Rookie

Don't get yer panties in a wad. I heard you loud & clear the first time, but having dealt with dealers in the past, they really frown on "warranty claims", regardless if it's a "LIFETIME WARRANTY", by trying to stick you with the bill & not releasing the vehicle untilit's been paid. Kinda have ya over a barrel so to speak.

Anyway, I do want to thank you on the instructions included with the recall statement. I really do appreciate it & will get the codes to double check before making any repairs. My scan tool went **** up a while back & I haven't replaced it, so haven't checked yet. I will take it to a buddy that has one, now that I know what to look for.

Again, thank you, your help is appreciated.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Bag light