Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

97 Caravan, Shift (Gear) Indicator Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 10:13 PM
mcetmc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Caravan, Shift (Gear) Indicator Problem

I am going to buy a 97 Caravan. When I move the shift lever to neutral, the dash display does not show an "N" or an "N" with a box around it.

Also, sometimes all the shift positions (P, R, N, D, 3, L) light and all have boxes around them.

Is the above caused by a mis-adjusted or bad switch connected to the shift lever?

Does all the positions lighting suggest a problem with the dashboard PC board or circuitry?

How do I get to it to adjust it or replace it?

I assume that the above will not affect the transmission or any other part of the van. True?

Old 07-10-2007, 12:21 AM
shooter1
Default RE: 97 Caravan, Shift (Gear) Indicator Problem

i would suggest you have the vendor have this problem fixed before you buy the vehicle, unless you take the vehicle to a shop for a quote and have them reduce the price by that much.
i just replaced the shifter cable on my 99 3.8L and it was quite easy, and there's not much to adjust on it either, an 8 mm screw is all that's there.
however, i was doing some reading and there's a 'neutral switch ' or some such thing that can cause some problems so like i said i'd have it checked out before or instead of asking on this board and trusting the diagnosis from a stranger from afar.
Wayne in Calgary
ps i'm not too impressed with the lack of response on this board so you may want to try other boards as well.

[/align]

Old 07-12-2007, 09:23 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Replace the Ignition switch, This was a common problem with 1996 thru 1998 caravans.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:49 AM
dishdude2k
Captain

I have a 99 caravan.. it does the same thing.. and mine works just fine like that..
trans dont slip or anything.. runs great..

Quick Reply: 97 Caravan, Shift (Gear) Indicator Problem