Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

My GC ES when idling has the "hiccups"!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 09:10 PM
nativemama
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My GC ES when idling has the "hiccups"!!!

Sorry if I am posting this wrong~ sorta new to this, definitely new to the board!
We just got a 99 Dodge Grand Caravan ES with 220K on it and have slooowwllyyy been doing things to get it better. We replaced the breaks,changed the oil,airfilter, got 2 new front tires... we still have a boatload of things to do, but not the money to do them... My question is when we are idling (at a red light etc) the car sounds and feels like it has the hiccups, (I can feel it under the body of the car) it goes away when I accelerate. We plan on getting a tranny flush next, since it lurches when we are going between 50-65 MPH and I dont know if that is related to this problem.
Any help with this would be sooo greatly appreciated

Old 07-11-2007, 09:32 PM
aussie78
Default RE: My GC ES when idling has the "hiccups"!!!

how long since last tune up? Plugs/wires
What engine?
Anything to add would be great! help us answer your quiestion.

Aussie

Old 07-11-2007, 11:22 PM
Johnroot

a cheep fix is a can of carb cleaner take off the hose at the throddle body and spray it down with the plate open make sure to get plenty in the port going to the idlemotor do this with the motor off and coldand let it dry up before starting it so it does not catch fire. Check the dis cap if itis not a brass towers you need a new cap. I have fixed many of these vans with just a cap. and a can of carb cleaner. If this does not work onplug the egr electric connector if it idles better that is it.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:49 PM
next2pool
Professional

Is your check engine light on?

Old 07-14-2007, 12:46 AM
Johnroot

one other thing about the lurches at 55-60 if it was a GM I would say you need plug wires but I just don't know Dodge that well. On the GM they just leak and have a week spark with old wires on cars with overdrives it is the most noticeableand I kind of figure Dodge would be about the same way the wires just break down from the heat under the hood.

Old 07-14-2007, 03:46 PM
nativemama

Hi All,
We have not given her a tuneup yet, we have the spark plugs, but my brother said since 3 of them are on the back that we dont have time for it yet, we dont have the tools at this time. We changed a very very nasty air filter, but thats about it. I am not sure when the last tune upwas,was not one of the things that the previous owner told us.we have no check engine lights on at this time, when I first start it the oil light comes on, but it goes off, and I check the oil religiously (blew up 2 cars already with NO oil in them) It has a 99 3.3L V6 engine in it. I will check the wires, I know that they are usually replaced when you change the plugs.
Thanks so much for the help!

Quick Reply: My GC ES when idling has the "hiccups"!!!