Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2000 GC clicks, does not start!. Arghhh!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 04:28 PM
Roadraider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 GC clicks, does not start!. Arghhh!

Hey all. I am new but I've been reading your forum for 3 days. Since the beggining of this mess. Suddenly BOTH my GCs are having problems although unrelated (I'll post a separate thread for the other car) []

Car: 2000 Grand Caravan, 3.8L, 145,000 miles. Had it for a year (bought used), no problems other than a split muffler which was patched last week.

This past Sunday I was doing some basic maintenance. Oil change, topping fluids, air filter, spark plugs (was experiencing some misfiring recently).

Anyway, I left the spark plugs for last. After the customary hour and a half with plenty of expletitives, got them changed. I am going from the top removing the whole windscreen wiper assembly. Tried to fire the car up before I put the whole thing back together, would not even turn! But there is a loud fast ticking sound from the fuse box.

Hmm, check DIC codes, nothing. OK, Reset. Take the IOD fuse out, disconnect battery, replace fuse, reconnect battery. Engine now turns just fine but will NOT fire. Not even a hint of it. Still, ticking on fuse box.

Ticking: when you turn the ignition to position 1, ticking is fast and constant. Turrn to pos 2, still ticking but at about 1/2 speed. Engine still turns.

Hmmm, maybe the ignition relay? or the EATX relay? ASD?? I am lucky here cause I have 2 GCs, the second one being a 97 GC 3.8L SE. Great! Swap the said relays over. The 97 starts like a champ. The 2000 does the same ticking, no fire.

Tried starting the car with different combinations of relays missing from the box (I have them all labeled but they all seem to be the same anyway). Most times the clicking goes before I try starting the car. As soon as I try, clicking comes back.

Ok, not the relays. Checked and double checked every single fuse. All fine. Checked spark plugs cables that are properly connected to the plugs and ignition coil. Still, same results.

What now?? I notice that when the key is in the ignition, there is NO indication on which gear the car is in!! Never noticed that before, must be related. Right?? Tried resetting the PCM & all. Most times the cluster will not indicate trans gear (with the square box); a few times all gears will have the square on them!

Still trying to figure which subsystem causes the ticking. So, I disconnect the cable to the TCM (Trans computer) and ticking stops!! Hurray! Engine turns but it does not fire but I think that's to be expected as the ASD is supposed to check that the Trans is in Neutral, right??

Ok, so it's the TCM? I hook it up to my 97 GC (I know, lucky) and it fires like a champ! Hmmm. Hook up 97's TCM to my problematic 2000, same results: ticking, no firing.

Now what? Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated and I will report back on my findings. I am stuck and I really do not want to have it towed to the stealership. Nor do I want to start throwing parts at it for no reason.

Notethat the car has been audibly misfiring for a few days now but I thought it was the spark plugs and the muffler split. The rearplugs were nasty and 3 different kinds!! I should also mention that I am using Bosch Platinum +4 plugs. I've been using these on all my cars for years now with no issues.

Thanks!

Old 07-18-2007, 10:21 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts
Default RE: 2000 GC clicks, does not start!. Arghhh!

1st ck and see if you have spark, if you have spark maybe its fuel.hook up a press gauge to the fuel rail and see if you have pressure ( 38 to 49 psi).

Old 07-18-2007, 10:36 PM
Roadraider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2000 GC clicks, does not start!. Arghhh!

Thanks, again

There is spark. I was going to try the coil pack from my other GC but although it is the same, the electrical connector plug is different. But there is spark.

I'll check on the fuel rail. I'll have to borrow a gauge tomorrow from the autostore but I guess I could press on the fuel pressure release valve to see if there is any pressure, no?

Quick Reply: 2000 GC clicks, does not start!. Arghhh!