Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1997 GC. Dies/sputters when coming to stop and when coasting.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 04:29 PM
Roadraider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 GC. Dies/sputters when coming to stop and when coasting.

Hey, 2nd post here. I have 2 GCs; suddenly BOTH are having problems although unrelated.

The car is a 97 GC SE, 3.8L, 160,000 miles. Engine overall in great condition and running really strong giving us around 19mpg average and 26mpg highway.

Have been having an issue lately and since last night, another one. I believe these are totally unrelated so I'll make separate posts if you don't mind. Let me know if I should merge them instead.

Anyway. Since last night car seems to be cutting out a bit (like fuel starved?) while driving. Some strong jarring when this happens. Today, the car dies when slowing to a stop unless you very quickly drop to Neutral and keep your foot on the accelerator. When the car starts though, it seems to idle fine.

Particularly dangerous since my wife and kids ride on this and it died on her 3 times today. 2 in the middle of intersections while trying to make a turn.

She's on her way back with the car and I'll go a few rounds with it. I asked her to retrieve Diagnostic codes over the phone but there don't seem to be any! (flashes 1-2 then 5-5).

I should have my hands on it in about an hour or so. What do you think? Fuel filter or pump?? Odd that this started out of the blue though. Anything else to check??

I should say that this weekend I did some basic maintenance on it. Oil changed, air filter, toped fluids, new spark plugs, new spark plug cables. Using Bosch Platinum +4 plugs.

Now, notice that I have also posted a thread on my 2000 GC too. That will not fire and now the 97 suddenly does this. We are almost with no car now!!

Thanks!

Old 07-18-2007, 08:36 PM
Roadraider
Default RE: 1997 GC. Dies/sputters when coming to stop and when coasting.

OK, here's an update.

Car got home, wife was in foul mood. Apparently, car stalled on her 3 times and sputtered a couple more.

First thing I did is check the seating of the spark plug cables. No issues.
Checked the vaccuum lines, no issues.

So, I take it to Autozone and hook it up to their ODB scanner. Guess what, NO codes! Nothing at all.

Got back home scratching my head trying to figure this out. The only thing I can think off is that my wife drives her car lately without the AC on -or even the air at times -. She's jumped on the whole environmentalist and gas emissions bandwagon.

Anyway, I always run the car on AC albeit low. Also checked and the Coolant is low. Added some and took it for another test drive which lasted 30 mins. Hit the highway at speeds; no issue. Hit the backroads and STOP lights; no issues. No sputtering, nothing.

At this point I am thinking that being a warm day and all and running the car without the AC or the fan on and 5 o'clock traffic that maybe heat was to blame here.

So, I just think there's nothing to it, make a left on a distribution center to turn around and the car dies on the spot! I mean one second was there, the next split second gone! NO warnings, NO sputtering, no vibration, nothing! All I felt was the steering wall go heavy on me with the car rolling.

Turned the key off and on again. Started just fine. Drove another 30 mins home with no issues. What the heck? Anyone have ANY ideas at all??

Could it be an issue with the trans? Look into my other thread here: https://dodgeforum.com/m_892001/tm.html

Could it be the Trans Solenoid that's causing this?? Any and all ideas most welcome!

Thanks!

Old 07-18-2007, 10:23 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Maybe fuel pump or filter ??

Old 07-18-2007, 10:33 PM
Roadraider

That's what crossed my mind. I came back from the local auto store witha new fuel filter but there's a huge storm going by here right now so I cannot work on it.

Last time I had a clogged fuel filter though, the car would sputter and jump and hickup often and ocassionally ever died. I guess each car is different.

I really don't think it is the filter but for $23 and not knowing the last time it was changed, what the heck, I'll try it anyway.

But this was the weirdest, most sudden shutdown in a car I have seen in my 20+ years of driving. It was like someone flipped a switch.

In any case, thanks for the reply. I'll post tomorrow after I change the fuel filter.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:42 PM
minburnboy

Sounds like my 1997 3.3. Repalced the fuel filter and fuel pump. Didn't fix the stalling. Used carb cleaner to clean the bypass passage in opening of the throttle body and seems to work. It's quick and cheap so might as well try it.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:27 AM
dishdude2k
Captain

pull your fuel line at the injector rail.. see if theres water in it.. also .. might want to look at the TB .. might need a good cleaning

Old 07-26-2007, 11:06 PM
themagician

I would check the IAC and give it a good cleaning as well..

Quick Reply: 1997 GC. Dies/sputters when coming to stop and when coasting.