Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Computer? or Electrical?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 05:23 PM
caravanagain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer? or Electrical?

1999 Grand Caravan 3.3L extended 135K miles.

I posted a while back about getting my interior soaked with water due to my ignorance...anyway my symptoms are that my climate control panel is dead. I.E. no rear wiper/washer, no A/C, no rear defrost. The cabin is constantly flooded with engine heat. I have towels covering my front defroster vents and and the vents at the floor around the front console. The heat is unbearable!

I originally was thinking that the body control module was bad, but in my extensive research I no longer think that the BCM is the culprit. Any ideas, guesses, suggestions? Could it be the electro/mechanical instrument cluster thing? I am really hoping for a cheap fix, but I am no mechanic by any stroke of the word, so I will have to take it to the shop.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:41 PM
RickMN
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Computer? or Electrical?

I would suspect the control head before the BCM. Did you do a control head calibration? If you're not getting any power to the control head, check your fuses. If still no lights or action, it would appear that the control head is dead.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:04 PM
caravanagain

The only components I have problems with are the ones I mentioned.

All lights are fine, door locks are fine, stereo is fine, front wipers are fine.

I am hoping to narrow this problem down. Any more ideas considering the added info? Remember though, I have NO auto mechanical experience. I can't even change the oil - a tire, yes - but that's about it. If you can give me some laymans explanations that would be a great help.

RickMN,
Thanks for responding. I have no clue where to start looking.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:11 PM
dishdude2k
Captain

ORIGINAL: RickMN

I would suspect the control head before the BCM. Did you do a control head calibration? If you're not getting any power to the control head, check your fuses. If still no lights or action, it would appear that the control head is dead.

WHAT HE IS SAYING.. .. the CONTROL head is what controls all of these issues you are having.. the control head needs to be calibrated.. see if that fixes the problem.. if you have no power to the control head (the control panel for your a/c.. ww wiper.. etc) .. then check fuses.. if it is good.. chances are .. the control head fried.. go to the junkyard and get another.. whn you get a new one.. it must be calibrated as well

Old 07-26-2007, 08:42 AM
caravanagain

Thanks for clearing that up.

Two questions, What IS a control head and what does it look like? I have no clue. And, how do you calibrate it?

I really need to get this fixed before we go on a road trip.
Thanks again!

Old 07-26-2007, 10:27 AM
dishdude2k
Captain

ok.. ya know where ya push the button? that turns on say.. your rear window defroster... and your a/c .. and all that crap?? that WHOLE PANEL .. is the control head.. meaning it controls the whole mess.. i cant remember the exact way to calibrate it.. but it IS listed in this forum.. look around a bit.. i know its there

Old 07-26-2007, 07:31 PM
caravanagain

Oh thank you!

I feel really dumb because after I posted I Googled and found out what the control head is [sm=bangbang.gif].

I will search for calibration info. Thanks for bearing with me in my ignorance.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:01 AM
caravanagain

I wanted to thank you guys for your help. Took the car to the shop and the control head was dead. They are putting in a boneyard unit (I can't fix this stuff myself - don't know squat about cars) for $200.

At least I was able to tell the mechanic what I suspected the problem was so I didn't sound like a complete idiot and wind up getting ripped off. I am a female and I have found that the more info I have, the better.

Thanks for letting me look like an idiot here instead of at the shop!

Quick Reply: Computer? or Electrical?