Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1996 Caravan A/C Compressor Won't Engage

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 09:08 PM
mikeyman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Caravan A/C Compressor Won't Engage

I have a 1996 Caravan 3.3L that the a/c compressor has stopped working. I've had some experience with a/c repair so I decided to tackle it. I found in another forum how to jump the relay to make the a/c clutch engage, tried it with no luck. I pulled the wiring harness from the compressor and put a meter to it..it is getting 12v to the plug. I then checked for continuity thru the compressor..there is continuity. If this is the case, is there anything else that could stop the a/c clutch form engaging? I don't relish the thought of taking it to the Dealer and spending an arm & leg to get it fixed so I would be grateful for any help.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:04 PM
next2pool
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1996 Caravan A/C Compressor Won't Engage

I would probe the back side of that plug and check the voltage while it is plugged in. A 12V reading with no load on it may not tell the whole story. If you do get 12V with the connector plugged in, it could indicate an open coil, a stuck clutch, or an excessive air gap between the clutch plate and the magnet.

Quick Reply: 1996 Caravan A/C Compressor Won't Engage