Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Transmission down shift problem 2nd to 1st

Old 08-03-2007, 07:06 PM
CMWesterhoff
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission down shift problem 2nd to 1st

I have read numerous posts and havent found one where someone said what their problem actually was. I have a 2003 Caravan SXT. Especially after driving in hot temps or on the express ways, when you go to stop it seems to get jerky in the 2nd to 1st down shift. It does it right before you stop. It is not coming up with a code. I did have it quick learned by a friend of a friend who works at a trans shop. He said there is no codes in the computer and the only thing I really got out of the conversation is it showed to be at 150 degrees C. That seemed awful high, considering it is 302F. He said it could be a speed sensor or the selenoid pack. Has anyone had any problems like this or can someone help me out here?

Old 08-03-2007, 07:48 PM
next2pool
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Transmission down shift problem 2nd to 1st

Almost every Chrysler minivan I've driven has a 2-1 downshift bump--I guess it's all a mater of degree. I'm not sure where that temp reading is picked up from (the pan, torque convertor out?) but anything over 270 F is a problem in that the oil degrades very quickly at thet temp. I wonder if your torque convertor is locking up on the Xpressway.These transmissions will overheat if the convertor doesn't lock. One way to check is to watch the tach and track shifts from 1 all the way to 4---then the rpm should drop another 300 to 500 rpm within a few seconds.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission down shift problem 2nd to 1st