Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager Water Leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 03:24 PM
MarkBall
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager Water Leak

I have a 1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager with 145K on the clock. I discovered a coolant leak under the van last week. While looking for the problem (suspected a simple fix like a radiator hose or bypass hose) I found out it's leaking from the top of the engine. This is the 3.0 liter V-6 with a "metal tube" connected to the lower radiator hose that runs down the valley of the engine.............under the intake manifold.

I called the Dealership, they said if they have to remove the plenum it will cost $160 for just that. Looking through my Haynes manual, I see the waterpump is behind & driven by the timing belt..............

This is getting to be more expensive than I originally thought.

Anyway, now I'm thinking it may be the waterpump leaking or the connection between the lower radiator pipe that connects to the water pump.

I'm also worried if it's the water pump, then that entails changing of the timing belt, gaskets, new water pump, hoses & assorted other "replacement parts". My question is, how expensive of a job is this going to be? I'm guessing from just the "plenum R&R" it will probably approach $650-800 for a simple water pump replacement.

Nothing has been done to this engine other than oil changes & a new O2 sensor. The van is paid for, but is it worth it to spend that much on it? I do my own repairs, but this is one I'm not comfortable tackling because of the disassembly required.

Any ideas?

Old 08-05-2007, 12:03 PM
next2pool
Professional
Default RE: 1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager Water Leak

Well, I think you have a pretty realistic assessment of what may happen as you dig into it. Depending on the condition of your van, it is probably worth around $2500. Personally, I would try a heavy duty radiator sealer available at any car parts stores or Walmart. They can be very effective for a long time!

Old 08-05-2007, 05:20 PM
RickMN
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Timing belt/water pump labor is about 4 hours. OEM water pump is about $100. If you've never changed the timing belt, now is the time to do it because the labor for the belt rides along free with the labor for the water pump. Once the belt is off, removing the pump is only about a 10 minute job. So, you're probably looking at around $650-700 for the whole thing. Probably worth it if the rest of the van is in good shape.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:27 PM
MarkBall
Rookie

That's about what I figure. However it may be as simple as an "O" ring at the waterpump connection, a bypass hose or something simple like that.

Guess, I'm going to have to take it in to have it fixed. The van is in good shape otherwise, has a slight oil leak (thinking valve cover gaskets/cam end seals) but doesn't burn much oil yet. Body's in great shape, everything else works.

Thanks for the help guys
Mark

Quick Reply: 1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager Water Leak