Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

98 caravan doors lock by themselves every 20 seconds

Old 08-08-2007, 12:00 AM
DebH
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 caravan doors lock by themselves every 20 seconds

1998 Grand Caravan, 3.8 L, 134K miles; Manufactured in Canada if that makes any difference.
Replaced steering column component (with turn signals and gear shifter are) in Feb 2007 when turn signals stopped working.
Recently turn signals stop working only on occasion; generally turning the car off for a while fixes/resets it until next time. Not sure if this is related to the more pressing problem that has now started up --

The automatic door locks activate all by themselves within about 62 seconds of closing the doors, and continue to "lock" the door about every 20 seconds or so continuously. Only happens when the car is parked, with the engine off. When running, it does not try to lock the doors (except for the automatic lock at approx. 15 mph when starting to drive). It does not lock/unlock, only locks.

Anyone else ever heard of this problem? Usually the trouble is locks that WON'T lock, not locks that DO. I have been told this is a Body Control Module issue ... $595 to replace it ... which is too much for just door locks to me. What else does the BCM control? I am considering having them just remove it and we'll open and lock the doors with the key! I never liked the 15mph automatic lock feature anyway.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:53 AM
next2pool
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 98 caravan doors lock by themselves every 20 seconds

The body computer controls almost every function in the vehicle, so you can't just remove it. Have you tried unpowering it to see if it may reset? You can disconnect the battery for a minute and hook it back up. Mine does some bizzare things once in a while and resetting it usually works. If not, you could look for a used one. It is under the dash just left of the brake pedal.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:06 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts
Default RE: 98 caravan doors lock by themselves every 20 seconds

Ck your sliding door ajar switches. They will cause the locks actuate every 30 secs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 caravan doors lock by themselves every 20 seconds