Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1990 Grand Caravan Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 01:45 PM
lecorbin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Grand Caravan Headlights

Hi. I have a question and thought this might be the best place to ask. I have a 1990 Dodge Caravan that needs a new composite headlight. Not being a mechanic, and being very strapped at the time, I got on the Internet and about fell over when I saw the prices of the composite headlights. I didn't know what a composite headlight was so I researched that. I also saw some sealed beams that are much, much cheaper. I was wondering if the sealed beams can replace the composite headlights. It is a 1990 Dodge Caravan V6 3.3 SE. I just need to keep it going a little while longer but don't want to invest $100 plus for a headlight - especially if I could change them and spend 1/2 that. Any and all help is greatly welcome because I'm fairly clueless.

Thanks very much!

Old 08-12-2007, 10:17 PM
dishdude2k
Captain
Default RE: 1990 Grand Caravan Headlights

so.. what im getting.. is you want to change from the PLASTIC headlights that you just change the bulb in.. to getting a glass sealed beam? no.. it wont work.. unless you rewire the plug.. and make it look all retarded.. BUT if this is what your looking it.. take some really really FINE grit sandpaper... and a bucket of water.. on a NICE CALM day outside.. and wet sand it.. wet sand it good and do it LIGHTLY.. IT HAS TO BE WET SANDED.. when you get it all done.. apply a thick coat of clear laquier... again.. make sure its not windy .. or rainy.. and you headlights will look like new.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:44 PM
lecorbin

Thanks for taking the time. It isn't that the dullness - a whole other situation and the driver's side needs to be replaced. Looking at prices, 2 sealed beams are a whole lot cheaper than 1 composite.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:48 PM
dishdude2k
Captain

check out ebay before you go buy either.. also check you local junk/salvage yard... for that year.. to get the new housing shouldnt be too bad.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:36 PM
lecorbin

Thanks for the help. It still blows my mind regarding the costs even through the junkyardsbut I guess there isn't much choice.

I appreciate your help!

Quick Reply: 1990 Grand Caravan Headlights