Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Caravan BCM & Radio

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 03:13 PM
Bill Hubbard
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caravan BCM & Radio

Hi All,
We recently had the BCM replaced on our '96 Dodge Caravan to correct a wiper problem. Several days after that successful repair (we had a used BCM unit installed), our AM/FM factory radio started acting up. Some of the symptoms include: not pulling in local FM stations that are presets, while finding other presets with no problem; not being able to re-tune a 'found' preset after manually tuning away from it; only 1 channel of an external MP3 player (broadcasting to 107.5 FM); overall poor sound.
Can the BCM cause these kinds of problems??

Another interesting fact is that prior to the BCM replacement, our odometer read 203,000, after it read 175,000!

Thanks for any help!
Cheers,
Phil

Old 08-19-2007, 06:13 PM
dishdude2k
Captain
Default RE: Caravan BCM & Radio

older models the mileage is stored in the bcm.. i suppose it COULD store the radio presets.. unlikely tho.. never heard of that... it almost sounds like they disconnected something and didnt get it back on quite right.. like maybe the radio antenna..

Old 08-19-2007, 07:00 PM
Bill Hubbard

I neglected to mention that today I pulled the radio and checked all connections. My first thought was that the antenna plug was out, but it was seated well.

I can still get certain stations that had been preset prior to the problem, but if I manually de-tune them, I cannot get back. Seek finds no stations.

Cheers.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:18 PM
dishdude2k
Captain

not quite sure where the bcm is on this particular vehicle.. but is it on the firewall under the hood on passenger side? check to see if you can find the antenna wire to there... maybe it was damaged when they were putting things back together?? it sounds like it HAS to be in that antenna wire SOMEWHERE.. who knows where.. might try to go buy a cheap 10 dollar antenna from auto zone or the like.. and hook it up... see if it works.. if it does.. great.. if not.. save the package so you can return it

Old 08-19-2007, 07:18 PM
dishdude2k
Captain

hold up.. now that i think about it.. check the bcm.. see if there is any stray ground wires.. im thinking there is a ground that way somewhere..

Old 08-19-2007, 10:06 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain

The radio and BCM have nothing to do with each other. The only thing the radio would have to do with the BCM woudl be the radio switches on the back of the steering wheel. The radio will hold its own presets thats why it has a 12 volt hot all the time supply. The bcm u replaced was from a junk yard yes?? or a reman from chrysler. The only way u are gonne get the miles back is to A see if a dealer computer will change it I doubt it B buy one from a dealer because they come programed to us from the place that does the programing for them. The radio Issue would be from the atenna not being pluged in,bad antenna or high restance.on the cable.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:23 PM
webbee
Professional

You might also check the battery terminals for corrosion and tight fit, also the ground termination. Sometimes these connections will screw with electrical components like the BCM and radio if they aren't in great shape.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:40 AM
Bill Hubbard

Apparently the BCM in the '96 is under the dash, just above the brake pedal. I suppose the antenna cable could have been messed up while working on the BCM, but unless it takes a strange route,it runs to the passenger side of the vehicle.
I might try removing the antenna and metering the cable.
Cheers.

Quick Reply: Caravan BCM & Radio