Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Airbag light lit, what to check before costly dealer service?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 04:47 PM
D0TC0M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag light lit, what to check before costly dealer service?

I have 2005 Grand Caravan that the airbag light is constantly staying lit. The light was not lit prior to parking it before a big snow storm and the following day the inside of the engine compartment was packed with snow. Prior to starting it I hand removed the snow as much as I could and when I started the van the airbag light stayed on. My first question is, Does the airbag light stay on like the check engine light even if the fault was just intermittent or does the light still being on indicate that the fault is still active. How does the light reset?

If the fault is still there then what checks or troubleshooting can I do i.e. checking connection/connectors, before bringing this van into the dealership and getting dinged with a ridiculous bill?

Old 03-04-2008, 10:12 AM
floorslayer1
Veteran
Default RE: Airbag light lit, what to check before costly dealer service?

I'd remove the battery ground for a few minutes and reset the computer. If it is a direct fault of some nature it will come back on quickly. A common airbag light cause is the clockspring in the steering column which had a recall (not sure if the recall applies to your year.) I think the snow was coincidental to the light.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:48 AM
D0TC0M

well I tried disconnecting the negative of the battery for a couple minutes but the dash airbag light stays on. I guess the dealer will have to have a look.

Is there a software alternative that I can use that will get the codes from my dodge? I have tried software but it can only get engine codes.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:49 PM
richardh05k

It will take more than a couple of minutes to discharge the codes. It will probably take over night.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:21 PM
D0TC0M

well I checked it this morning and the light was still on. After I got home from work I checked it again and the light was off. I will probably get them to check the codes next time it goes in for service.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:20 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Clockspring is one of the problem, but so is high resisted at the yellow connectors. The yellow connectors are for the air bag system. You do need to go to the dealer and ck for stored codes.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:04 PM
pettyrebound

Our 2005 Caravan SE had the Airbag light on when we bought it used.
There was a NTSB recall in August 2007 to rectify this matter.
Our local Dodge dealer handled it fine.
No more Airbag light on.
Hope this helps?

Old 03-15-2008, 08:52 PM
D0TC0M

I found corrosion at the two bumper sensors. I disconnected the battery and cleaned the connections and put dielectric grease and everything is back to normal.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:33 PM
bluecaravan

Thanks for the great info. I think I may have the same problem with the airbag circuit connectors on my 2002 Grand Caravan Sport. The airbag light is on most of the time now, but still goes off occasionally for short periods of time. I replaced the clockspring, even though the hornand cruise control never quit working.

Are the bumper sensors easy to locate?? I will also look for the yellow connectors and clean/grease them with the battery disconnected. Where is a good place topurchase service/parts manuals for my Caravan?

Old 03-16-2008, 05:14 PM
D0TC0M

On my Van they are bolted on the frame that holds the radiator. You can see them through the outer most holes in the front bumper (the holes that you can put fog lights in)

Be sure to disconnect the battery for 2 minutes as to disarm the airbag system before working on these sensors.

Quick Reply: Airbag light lit, what to check before costly dealer service?