Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

95 3.0 dies at stop help

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 06:24 AM
vahab49
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 3.0 dies at stop help

If any1 can help with this you are a god!! I have a 1995 Caravan witha 3.0. It dies once you come to a complete stop if not pretty close to it. The engine has a slight misfire (very little) cant feel it but can hear a little "pop" in the exhaust once you rev it high and let go. Other than that it runs very strong. Hear is a list of everything I have done to it to try to fix it this past week;
Spark plugs
Spark plug wires
distributor cap
distributor rotor
fuel filter
cleaned out the throtle body with carb cleaner
visibly check for any broken vacuume lines and hoses

After replacing these parts the van runs like a champ! However it still turns off at very low if not stop speeds. Once it is off it will turn right back on with no problem. It had 110k on it. I have even had the OBD read and it is picking up no error signals. If you have any ideas please let me know Im going hair wire on it. I have even took it to 3 shops including the dealership spent well over $1000 on it and no one can find out whats wrong.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:57 AM
chopper
Veteran
Default RE: 95 3.0 dies at stop help

You probably have a idle air control valve thats dirty.They control the amount of air going into the engine at idle speed and adjust idle speed this way.There should be a bypass hole somewhere upstream of the throttle plate where you can spray a can of carb cleaner into while the engine is running.Bench cleaning or replacementare the other options.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:50 PM
vahab49

That exactly what I thought it was at first. However I have sprayed carb cleaner into the throtle directly. I even used the little red hose attachment on the can to make sure I get up in there. After spraying half the can as many angles with throtle closed and wide open I could I turned it on. Once it was on I finished up the can reving it up to make sure it and all the dirt (what was left) got sucked in and out the exhaust. [X(]

Old 08-21-2007, 06:47 PM
dishdude2k
Captain

take the IAC OFF and clean it good... but.. you said it has a little 'pop' sounds like backfire? check timing...

Old 08-21-2007, 09:48 PM
vahab49

That is a very good point and I will check on that.
Does any1 know exactly what it should be and how to do it? Yes I know about the gun and the turn of the distributor what I mean is do I have to unplug any vacuum lines or disconnect anything to do it??? As well as what would the degrees be?

Old 08-21-2007, 10:12 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i don't know anything about a 95 caravan, but i used to have an 88 caravan w/ 3.0 engine, and about every 2-3 years i would have to replace the throttle position sensor. it was on the throttle plate and had an electical connection on it. my ram truck has a tps, but the idle is controlled by Idle Air Controller (IAC). i don't know if your caravan has both of these or not. if it has both, investigate IAC first, then TPS second.

i don't think you can adjust your timing. i think its all computer controlled.
i don't think you can clean or help a faulty TPS or IAC by just spraying cleaner into the throttle body.
i'd just replace them one at a time, starting with IAC if you have one. clean the well where the new IAC plunger seats.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:56 PM
vahab49

I have looked at my distributor and I can see the adjusting bolt underneath. Even on the harmonic balancer there are degree markings. Does anyone know what it should be set at and if anything needs to be unplugged?

Quick Reply: 95 3.0 dies at stop help