Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Starter/Electrical Problem

Old 08-23-2007, 11:10 AM
pinkcrouch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter/Electrical Problem

I have a 2003 3.3L Caravan. The other day, I stopped to get gas, got back in, and it wouldn't start. It wouldn't even turn over, although all interior and dash lights were working. I tried jumping it (although it didn't seem like a dead battery), and got nothing. I started checking fuses, and even swapped the starter relay with a few of the other identical ones, and still nothing. When I turned the key to start, I heard the relay clicking, so I knew the ignition switch is good, but I didn't hear any clicking on the starter. So I put a new starter on it, but that didn't fix it either.

I towed it home, and started checking wires. Everything to my starter is hot, except the energizer wirer to the starter isn't getting juice. I ran a hot wire directly to this energizer plug on the starter, and it turns over, but the engine won't catch. It acts as if there's an open connection somewhere that's keeping it from catching. Also, when I turn the key on, I don't hear the fuel pump priming.

So I pulled the computer and ran around asking questions, thinking that had to be the problem. I was led to believe it wasn't, due to the fact that the relay wouldn't click if something in the computer was telling the van not to start. So I put it back in, hooked the battery back up, and started checking wires with a voltmeter. I left the key in the on position for 5-10 mins while I was determining my next course of action, when I hear 2 or 3 clicks right around the fuse box and computer. I tried starting it after the clicks, and it fired right up. I restarted it about 10 times due to the confusion, and it continually worked. I drove it about 10 miles, tried it again 30 minutes later, and I'm back to square one.

My question is, does anyone know what clicked and reset itself, or what switch could have closed just from it sitting there doing nothing. I tried recreating my original fix by unhooking the battery for 30 minutes, hooking it back up, and leaving the key on. As of now, it hasn't "reset" again.

I have no idea where to go from here. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:48 AM
pinkcrouch
Default RE: Starter/Electrical Problem

After working on it more last night, I noticed that with the key on, my EATX Safety Shut Off relay was getting quite warm. I also noticed on the instrument panel that the airbag light is on contiuously. So now my question is, would a bad read in the airbag system keep the van from starting. And if so, what area of the airbag system should I look at first...the ACM, sensors, ??[/align]

Old 08-24-2007, 08:56 PM
dishdude2k
Captain

air bag sensor will NOT keep it from starting.. the light is on because the vehicle isnt running.. disreguard that... couple possibilities.. it could be the security system.. that will kill spark.. and fuel pump... tap on each relay seperatly.. see if it clicks again.. something like this is really hard to diagnose w/o looking at it.. w/e it is.. it is electrical.. but to me it sounds like anti theft

Old 08-24-2007, 08:58 PM
dishdude2k
Captain

but now that i think about it.. we had a similar problem with a jeep.. and it turned out to be a pcm.. we tried tried and tried.. and it wouldnt work.. replaced it.. and we were in business.. i believe dodge has a way to scan just the computer.. not sure

Old 08-25-2007, 05:46 PM
pinkcrouch

That's kinda the direction I was leaning. I found a handheld OBDII, and I'm not getting an error code, even though the engine light is on. Although, the engine light may be similar to the airbag light.....only on when it's not running.

Twice while I was checking diagnostics, I suddenly heard the fuel pump prime, and I was in business. One of those times, though, the vehicle ran for about 5 seconds, then died, but still no error codes. Not to mention that while checking diagnostics, I periodically got the oil light, which was new to this situation. Sometimes I get the engine light with key on. Sometimes I get the airbag light on, but most of the time, both. Since things are acting so inconsistent, I'm starting to think PCM as well.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 08-25-2007, 06:44 PM
pinkcrouch

Any hints on the cheapest replacement or rebuild?

Old 08-26-2007, 01:48 PM
dishdude2k
Captain

man.. everything your telling me leans towards bad PCM... check the grounds.. take out the pcm.. and re install it.. to reseat the plugs and grounds.. if that dont work.. take it do the stealership.. and see if they will test it.. they will however charge you .. of course.. but it really sounds like a pcm to me

Old 12-03-2007, 04:55 PM
ZachB

I'm having the exact same problem with my wifes van. I thought it was the starter relay, I swapped it out and it worked good for about a week, now we are back to the same problem. Sometimes it fires right up, other times it just clicks. Sometimes if I try it 5-10 times it will finally go. I'm confused.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:47 PM
russmcs

pinkcrouch - did you ever find your solution to this. I am having the same issue. Last night, turned key and NOTHING. Turned key again, fired right up. This morning, turned key and NOTHING (no hum, no click, no sound of anykind) - turned againa and cranked. Later today, wife called me b/c van would not start. Removed and tested starter (tested bad), put in new starter. Seems as though I am not getting power to starter for some reason when key turned to start position. Any suggestions GREATLY appreciated

Old 12-15-2007, 07:00 AM
RSchyns

Its the starter solenoid contacts. About a $14 part. Pull the starter and take it to a starter/alternator shop to have the plunger and contacts replaced on the solenoid.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starter/Electrical Problem