Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

92 Voyager transmission leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 09:38 AM
Jemm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Voyager transmission leak

Hey;

My 92 Grand Voyager, 3.3L, auto with overdrive, no ABS, FWD van left a puddle of transmission fluid the other day after a 20 Mile drive. I moved the van and it does not leak anymore.

Here is the history

I changed the CV shaft myself, just basically pushed the new shaft in the transaxle and closed up. It seemed fine for about a month.

After fixing all the other front end noise issues there is still a sound like vrrrrrrrrr that seems to be coming from the front center. The noise starts at about 20 MPH and revs up to a whine at about 45 MPH.
The noise happens in all gears and also when coasting in neutral

A mechanic working on another issue suggested axle bearings. I think the van had new front wheel bearings last year.

I'm thinking this might be the pinion gear bearings. ANY THOUGHTS?

Is this a major overhaul or can I fix this myself.

Thanks,

Old 09-18-2007, 11:07 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts
Default RE: 92 Voyager transmission leak

You want to ck your cooler line hose clamps and inspect the bell housing around the front pump area.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:33 PM
Jemm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 92 Voyager transmission leak

Thanks Master Tech;

I found the vrrrr noise. It was the front driver side wheel bearing. I had ruled out the bearing earlier because it was replaced last year.

The leak appears to be coming from the passenger side seal where the CV shaft enters the transaxle.

I'll definitely take a look at the two areas you suggested to make sure they are ok.

Jemm

Quick Reply: 92 Voyager transmission leak