Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

95 Grand Caravan Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 07:18 PM
Papa Bear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Grand Caravan Help

I have hadmy 95 Grand Caravan (3.3L, 150K miles) in storage for the past 6 years while I was away. Now that I am back, I would like to use it again but it has a bad cylinder miss. I think I remember it had this when I first stored it. I replaced the plugs and wires but got no improvement. I learned the the bad cylinder is #3, back center. Next, I replaced the ignition coil, with still no improvement. Now, I am being told by my local parts man that if it isn't the plug/wire, or the ignition coil, it's probably a burnt valve (?).

When I talk to my local mechanic shop, they don't recommend partial engine repairs on a 150K motor and want to install a new reconditioned motor.

I believe I have used up all of my mechanical ability and don't know where to turn from here. I learned of the Dodge Forum when I wanted to know about changing the spark plugs as their locations are not obvious, so I thought I would try again for help. Thanks in advance for any comments, Papa Bear.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:47 PM
dishdude2k
Captain
Default RE: 95 Grand Caravan Help

first off.. 150k miles isnt all that much to require a new motor.. thats insane.. mine has 150 on it.. and all i need to do is re do the valve seals.. that is more than likely the issue.. put a little bit of 'marvel mystery oil' in the bad cylinder and see if that dont clear it up some.. a valve job isnt all that bad.. its not good.. but its probably all it needs and a hell of alot cheaper than puttin a whole new engine in it

Old 09-07-2007, 10:35 AM
next2pool
Professional
Default RE: 95 Grand Caravan Help

I would have the compression checked to see if it is a valve or mechanical issue. It could be sticking partially open as well or a bent pushrod. Sticking valves are pretty common after sitting for a while. Try that first before spending money or throwing parts at it.

Quick Reply: 95 Grand Caravan Help