Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

A/C conversion.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 02:21 PM
chopper
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C conversion.

Has anyone here actually changed the freon in their Caravan from R-12 to R-134A?
If so,what did you change?
How long ago did you do the change?
The van in question is a '92 with the 3.3 engine.The A/C works fine as it is now as long as it has freon in the system but it leaks out slowly over the summer and is in need of a refill but I'm out of R-12.
There are many conflicting procedures out there on the net and I don't want to make more trouble for myself later on down the road.Some say to just buy adapters and refill the system.Others say to have the entire system converted by a pro.I figure the truth is somewhere in between.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:23 PM
RickMN
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: A/C conversion.

Even among professionals there's disagreement. But one thing is clear, if you have a leak with R-12, you will HAVE to fix it before you refill with R-134a. R-134a is a smaller molecule and will pour out of a small R-12 leak. So that means new gaskets throughout the whole system.

Here's where people differ. Some like to flush the system to get as much of the mineral oil out. Others say to leave it in and it will just settle at the bottom of the condenser. Either way, you will have to add new oil and the adapters. Depending on which system you have, you may also have to change out one or two pressure sensors.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:31 PM
next2pool
Professional

Yes definitely try to find the leak first, however if it's a very slow one, R134 is cheap enough that once or twice a year top off won't kill you. If have converted 3 of my older cars and just used the off the shelf kits that contain the fittings and a bit of seal conditioner. They have gone well over 5 years now with no problems whatsoever.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:46 PM
dishdude2k
Captain

go to the parts store.. get the 134 conversion kit... put it on... then take it to a shop.. and have them evacuate and vacuum the system... and do the recharge.. off the shelf recharge systems are good for a top off type of thing.. but for optimum performance.. have the pro fill it just for the fact he can put the proper amout in and make sure the pressure is good on it

Quick Reply: A/C conversion.