Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

96 DGC 3.3 Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 08:54 AM
dlm4ut
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 DGC 3.3 Transmission Problem

I have 96 DGC with 3.3 engine and transmission with 140k. The engine starts up fine. However, the transmission does not work in any gear. The check engine light is not on and I plugged in my code reader and did not get any problem codes.

The car is in fine shape and was going to be donated to charity. They will give it to me for free. I am open to trying to rebuild the transmission, however, I am wondering if it is electrical or mechanical. Given that there are no problem codes I was guessing mechanical, but was wondering even with mechanical problems, electrical codes might still occur.

There was enough fluid and the gear selector cable was connected allright to the transmission.

Any ideas before I dive into rebuilding it.

dlm4ut

Old 09-18-2007, 10:02 AM
dlm4ut
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 96 DGC 3.3 Transmission Problem

I did note another post that seemed to have similar problem and it was the converter, so I am guessing it is something like that.

However, I have a question that you all might know. If the TCM is bad or without power, will the transmission go into Limp mode and still work or will the transmission not work at all?

Also, I would guess there would be some codes if the TCM was not working, is that right?

dlm4ut

Old 09-18-2007, 10:57 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts
Default RE: 96 DGC 3.3 Transmission Problem

If the transmission won't move, then there something wrong in the transmission. the tcm will stop the trans from moving the van. It on the other hand could stop the engine from starting and run, thats becase it will take the bus down.

Quick Reply: 96 DGC 3.3 Transmission Problem