Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Replacing Instrument Cluster on g.caravan 2000 sport

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 08:18 AM
basti78
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Instrument Cluster on g.caravan 2000 sport

Hello. I have a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan sport with only 86,000 miles and recently the instrument panel is busted.
Speedometer, odometer, fuel gauege and rpm gauge are not working. not quite sure what had happened but it's unfortunate.
My garage said need to be replaced. We called a local junk place and found one with a 160,000 miles on it for very cheap.
The stealer is asking around $500.00 which I thought a no brainer... lol anyways...

O and by the way, my odometer is digital.

Now for my question, is the mileage stored in the cluster itself or in the computer under the hood? sorry, my garage is not up to date
to this info. So if the mileage stored in the comp. then It would be great to have my original mileage. I hope you guys can shead on this,

thanks very much!

basti

Old 09-20-2007, 04:38 PM
jubadah
Default RE: Replacing Instrument Cluster on g.caravan 2000 sport

I am am not sure about the 2000 Caravan models, but on the 1998 models the odometer reading is stored in the BCM under the dash.If you replace the BCM with a used one your odometer will read the mileage that was on the vehicle that the BCM came out of. If you check online for used BCM's you will see the lower the mileage the more expensive the part. Ones with unknown mileage are really cheap, since you are buying a pig in a poke.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:34 PM
dishdude2k
Captain

the mileage is stored in the cluster itself.. and dont be too hasty on replacing it.. check around the forum.. these clusters have an issue.. and there is one point on the back you need to solder.. and its fixed.. do a search on it man.. you wont be sorry

Old 09-21-2007, 10:22 PM
basti78

Hey guys, here's an update. but i want to thank these 2 people here first for their replies...

ok, so here you go, I called up 3 different chrysler dealership around town and asked them where
is the mileage store for Caravan 2000. Well to my surprised 2 of the dealer said the mileage is
store under BCM which they said can be found under dash on the driver's side. So I should be ok
buying the part from the junkshop since the cluster will be reset by the computer til
I spoke to a friend's cousin who used to work at the chrysler dealer but now works at another
dealership today and basically told me the opposite. Wow now thats confusing...

Dishdude2k, we've tried everything to fix the cluster but with no result. The hitting on the
dashboard, the fuse thing, solder thing, etc. Now basically, we've come to the point of just
replacing the Instrument Cluster. how positive are you about this? have you changed one yourself?

I just want to make sure that the the millage that is store on these used clusters from the junk
will be reset by BCM or computer. and if not then I would just probably wait til I find one that has
atleast comparible to what mileage I have right now.

thanks,
seb

Old 09-22-2007, 06:51 AM
dishdude2k
Captain

i have in fact changed many clusters.. and i do know for a fact.. the mileage is stored in the cluster.. w hen i changed them out.. they had the mileage from the new cluster on it... one thing you can do... is get the new cluster.. and i do believe the dealership can reprogram the new cluster with the correct mileage.. you just need to find a way to prove these are the actual miles that need to go in.. call em up and ask them.. see if they can reprogram them

Old 02-27-2008, 07:41 PM
Jjimenez
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before you spend all that money try to reset your computer chip. Insert key to ACC and push mileage reset button on dash for about 20 seconds. All the lights and gauges will reset themselves. You are welcome if this fixes your problem. It fixed mine.

Quick Reply: Replacing Instrument Cluster on g.caravan 2000 sport