Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Computer, resetting, system ready factors - when?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 10:43 PM
ccwicks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer, resetting, system ready factors - when?

On my 2005 Grand Caravan, had the engine light on. Sure enough, my NJ State inspection sticker expired as well. Gotta love timing......

Went to Advance Auto and got a free scan of the codes (good place if you have one near you). Three codes (2 for EGR and 1 for fuel pressure). Took off the EGR valve - easy (4 bolts and 2 screws, one plug). Sprayed it with cleaner and reinstalled - no good after disconnecting the battery, the engine light went back on.

Got the EGR realllll cheap from a Dodge OEM website ($68 shipped, with all gaskets - deal!!!). Installed and all is working for over 110 miles so far.

QUESTION - I went for inspection and it failed. EGR system checked out GOOD. The problem was that since I disconnected the battery, various systems were not yet READY for readout.....The Oxygen sensor was not ready as well as some other system.....The Inspection center told me that we need to drive it for about 250 miles or so for the systems to come back online (collecting data?) - previously, they said 100miles where it wasn't ready again... Anyone know what the deal is for the computer to become fully ready or "self aware" as in the Terminator movies? Can't pass inspection until my Caravan "feels like it"...."sometime soon".....Kinda reminds me of the primary driver....my wife.... I can only deal with one of them, not two tempermental personalities at this time.

Any info about making my Caravan self aware?

Old 11-08-2007, 12:42 AM
Dodge Tech
Captain
Default RE: Computer, resetting, system ready factors - when?

I got this one.

Your van and every chrysler car made sence 96 has certan tests that are required to pass in the PCM software some have 7 some have 3 or 4. Each test will haft to pass in order for the next one to do its job and they run once every few start up cycles. THe real way to know if u passed would be have a dealer or a scan tool check to see how many u ahve passed all u need is 75% done for u to pass the inspection. U yourself will not have the ablity to knowing what has passed or what is required for u to pass them either. 100 to 200 miles of driving will usualy take care of it.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:17 AM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

God, I love living in Elbert County, CO. All I need to tag any vehicle is proof ofinsurance and cash/check.

[sm=laughat.gif]

(sorry, coulnd't resist)

Old 11-08-2007, 08:10 AM
dishdude2k
Captain

these 'tests' are called rediness monitors.. there are about 6 in most vehciles.. egr, o2 sensors etc.. basically it is your pcm checking status of your sensors.. most vehicles you can get the sensors in 'ready' status by driving for about 25 miles.. some you cant.. what you need to do is take it on the highway.. and in town.. you need a combination of driving habits.. take it up to about 60 .. for 10 minutes.. then let off the gas.. coast it to 40 .. do that a couple times.. take it for about 20 more minutes intown.. and you should be set... if the computer is stating not ready ... its not monitoring all the sensors required for emissions.. and most emissions states require all to be working.. in NC where im at we can get away with ONE not ready.. anything after that.. we gotta drive it..

Old 11-08-2007, 02:02 PM
ccwicks

Thanks everyone for the responses. I'll take it out for a long trip and try the mentioned tips so that the PCM can get it's data...hopefully won't get a check engine light in the process... Appreciate the tips.

Quick Reply: Computer, resetting, system ready factors - when?