Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2008 Grand Caravan Manual No 4 Liter info!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 08:33 PM
awill99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Grand Caravan Manual No 4 Liter info!

Just bought new SXT with 28M package and 4 liter manufactured 10/07. The Manual has zero info on 4 Liter- just info on 3.3 and 3.8 liter. Checked another 4 liter in dealer's inventory and it's manual was same way. Anybody know what's going on? How do we get the info? Dealer was no help.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:50 PM
clacker
Default RE: 2008 Grand Caravan Manual No 4 Liter info!

That ridiculous !

I'm remember seeing a link to a Dodge website where you could find the service manual. Maybe there is an updated version.

Did you or dealer checked in the Town and Country? If they sell a lot of Limited, they are 4.0

However, the dealer should help you locate one.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:19 PM
awill99

Here's response I got from Dodge when i emailed from their website
Dear Arnold:
Thank you for contacting the Dodge Customer Assistance Center regarding the owner's manual for your 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan.
We here at the Customer Assistance Center was not aware that the owner's manual was published without the 4.0L engine information. We do apologize for the inconvenience. We will continue to work on an update for this concern.
We suggest for you to contact your local Dodge dealer for any information concerning the 4.0L engine.
Thank you for bringing this information to our attention. Your effort is very appreciated.
Thanks again for your email.
Sincerely,
Bethanie
Customer Service Representative
Chrysler Customer Assistance Center

How can a company that large make such a big mistake? I know it's the first year of the engine but the sales literature covers it- whyisn't itin manual? I am very unhappy with Dodge. A simple few page supplement would fix problem.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:43 PM
clacker

Also, they send you to your dealer where ... you can't have it.

When you contact them, it is usually because you can'T get help from the dealer !

Old 04-02-2008, 10:41 PM
tazman444
Rookie

It's dealers like that that kill a vehicle manufacturer. I'm going to check the manuals in the vans at work tomorrow and see if it's been updated yet. I've never seen a motor exclusion in the manuals for as long as I've been there. I'll get back to you on this.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:19 AM
tazman444
Rookie

The updated manual has the info on the 4.0 Talk to the dealer and tell them you want an updated manual. If they refuse, send an e-mail to the Auburn Hills home office in Michigan with your request. Make sure you let them know what dealership you dealt with that refused to give you the info.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:02 AM
1980blackfiveoh
Professional

If you order the my-gig without the navigation system you also don't get a manual. My dealer also said I couldn't get a dodge with the 4.0 only a town and country.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:26 AM
vegashiker

Ipicked upmy CUSTOM ORDER Dodge Grand Caravan SXT "M" group (4.0/6 speed trans) 17" wheels, a couple of weeks ago. Included were: Interior group I, Trailer tow package (includes load leveling), and 506 watt Infinity sound upgrade.

Responses to previous posts:

Owners Manual:
My manual (4th edition) P/N 81-226-0819 has multiple, specific references to the 4.0 engine. Engine compartment illustration, oil requirements (3.3 and 3.8 engines = 5 qts 5W-20; 4.0 = 5.5 qts 10W-30). The 3.3 & 3.8 engines call for 87 octane fuel, the 4.0 says 87 is OK, but 89 is recommended. Also in the service intervals, the 4.0 calls for a timing belt change at 102,000 miles. It also references the 4.0 when it mentions that the 6 speed transmission is a sealed unit and there is no dipstick to check the trans fluid level)

MYGIG:
I got the MyGig WITHOUT the NAV and got a unit specific, 96 page manual (First edition) PN 81-170-08054 just for thatMyGig. It explains the operation of the radio, HDD, and U-Link for the bluetooth interface. (works great BTW) I didn't think the NAV was worth the $1300 when there are great Garmin units available for less the half that price.

The 4.0 engine:
The 4.0 is not available in the Dodge SE or SE Value edition even as an added $ option. You must upgrade to the SXT and even then, it is NOT available in the "K" or "L" option groups. You must specify the "M" or "N" groups and then it is a mandatory $630 built in option, in addition to the added cost of the M/N groups. You can't get the M/N without paying for the 4.0. In the T&C, you have to upgrade to the top of the line "Limited" model to be able to get the 4.0.

General Comments:
When I was researching the differences between the GC and the T&C one difference I found in a Road & Track evaluation was that the Dodge (4.0) came with the Euro sport suspension which was NOT available with the 3.3 or 3.8 Dodges, and was not even offered in any configuration with the T&C. Seems it provides a somewhat rougher ride, but better handling. I guess the rougher ride was something they didn't want in the T&C. I have found almost no other references to the Euro Sport suspension anywhere else.

ONLINE MANUALS:
The online manual does not include the 4.0 engine. When I questioned support about this, here was their reply:
QUOTE:
Thank you for contacting the Chrysler Customer Assistance Center
regarding 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan.
We appreciate the time and effort you took to write to us. In response
to your email, we would like to inform you that the Owner's Manuals are
model specific and not vehicle specific.
END QUOTE
I think the web teamdropped the ball big time on this item. Can you imagine if SONY or similar company had only a generic manual for sound systems, and did not have a unitspecific manual online? Very poor response from Chrysler/Dodge. They should have each and every manual available for download in .pdf format.

So far I really like the car. This is our 3rd Caravan, the first being afully loaded top of the line 1984 (yeah, we took a chance on the Caravan when Iacocco was looking for the guarantees from the feds-glad we did), then another fully loaded1997 ES SWB, and now the 2008 SXT. The 2008is by far, the best. FWIW, we traded the 84 at 240,000 miles, and the 97 at 106,000 miles.

With reference to fuel, I am using 87 octane regularly and the trip computer advises 15.6 mpg, That's in-town, stop and go driving with once in a while freeway driving. I plan to stick to 87 octane except when driving into areas where I have to go through mountain passes , steep climbs and/or higher elevations, when I will switch to 89 octane.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:38 AM
bigtex2008

Excuse me if I missed it, but I just down loaded the latest manual from the dodge website and the 4.0L is in there.

http://www.dodge.com/en/owners/manua...rand%20Caravan

Quick Reply: 2008 Grand Caravan Manual No 4 Liter info!