Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Transmission died? on 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 11:19 PM
th8527
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission died? on 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport

At least that's what they told me. Driving 65mph on the expresswayRPms shoot up. I pull over now the van won't go into Drive, screams in reverse and sometimes goes into neutral (or it acts like it is in park when it is in Neutral). There are no fluids leaking or anything. We had the van towed, after a few minutes you could hear it trying to go into drive and it would try to move forward, but it acted as though the parking brake was down. It literally would lurch forward but the tires would not move.

The Dodge dealership quoted$3700 for a rebuilt transmission. What do you make of this? I am no mechanic.

It's a 2001 with 109,000 miles on it.

Any help would be appreciated. Couldit be atransmission control module?

Old 01-07-2008, 02:43 PM
jubadah
Default RE: Transmission died? on 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport

Check with your local transmission shops. It can be challenging to find a reputable one. Ask local auto repair shops who they use. They usually know the reputable ones that are not going to sell you something you don't need. Most front wheel drives that I have had rebuilt at a local tranny shop ranged about $1,400 to $1,800 in the past few years.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:58 AM
chopper
Veteran

I agree with jubadah.
Since it's been a few days since your original post I assume you've already made a decision.If not here's some help.
Look for a transmission shop that is clean and well lit.
The shop manager should be willing to show you all the parts that are to be replaced BEFORE the repair begins.
The mechanic ormanager should be SOOO proud of their work that they drag you into the shop to show you what they did.(some shops can't do this for insurance reasons,or so they say. I don't like places like that!)
Ask the manager or tech what they are going to need to do to your tranny.They should be willing to talk to you and not make you feel stupid,explaining what the broken parts used to do and why they are to be replaced.

Now for you.
Don't be stupid!
Let the shop do it's work.
Don't nit pick every charge on the bill.
ask about any upgrades the shop can do such as shift improver kits.These actually help the tranny to last longer.
If you've chosen a reputable shop you won't get ripped off.
Talk to friends,where did they go when they needed tranny work done.
Check the BBB for your local area,see if any of the shops have a complaint list.

Repost and tell ushow it turns out.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:12 PM
robert213

Find a certified Automatic Transmission Rebuilder Assoc (ATRA) member near you...
http://www.atra.com/source/amembers/...searchtype=reb

Also, contact a local parts suppliers specializing in transmissions. Those guys behind the counter usually knowwhich transmission repair shops will be best suited tomake a decision (repair, rebuild, replace) regardingyour transmission.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:45 PM
dlm4ut

I had similar problem with my transmission. It turned out that it was the torque converter. If it was the TCM it would still work in 2nd, reverse. However, I rebuilt my transmission while I had it off to replace the torque converter.

dlm4ut

Old 02-05-2010, 07:15 PM
rvr2

Just purchased one of these vans from a guy for $500 yesterday because he didn't want to sink anymore money into the van and just wanted to get rid of it..
So after doing the deal, I got it towed to the DMV to do a 'Title only' transfer which required them to see the van and match the VIN ad not pay property taxes, then dropped it off 500 feet away to a local transmission shop that said they could rebuild it for $1300.
I'm Hoping to resell it ASAP once the transmission is fixed and turn a bit of a profit, or maybe try to trade it even for a 1997-2001 Dakota w/ a extended/club cab

Old 02-19-2010, 07:53 PM
cochleardad

I had the same problem, dealer even quated me the same money, Replaced the trans my self with reputable rebuild and still had the same problem, turned out to be the tcm and yes it did not go into second or third I was able to make the dealer pay for the trans due to the fact that they miss diagnosed and had all the papers and codes from a dealer compurter. they will try to tell you since the cvn numbers (constant velosity numbers) are not at the right spec that the trans is gone,
The computer is 600 compared to the 3700 but the computer has to be flashed by a dealer computer after installation or it will seem that it is still screwed up. talk about the dealer having us by the cahoonaas

Old 11-20-2011, 01:13 PM
th8527
Thumbs up I originally posted about the blown trans Jan '08

Its been almost 4 yrs, the rebuilt transmission is holding up fine. Our mechanic knew the owner of a transmission shop and we had it taken care of for $1500.

We have 155,000 and wheel-well rust, but we are still on the road. Now that sway bar again...

Quick Reply: Transmission died? on 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport