Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

getting to the rear plugs

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 01:15 PM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting to the rear plugs

Whats the easiest way to get to the rear 3 (3.3 V6 96GrandVoyager)??? is there a way to do it without tearing half of the stuff out to get to them?

Old 01-05-2008, 02:18 PM
Phaqutomb
Default RE: getting to the rear plugs

i have the same motor but mine is in a 93 grandvoyager and the easiest way i found was getting under the van to do it. the only thing you would haev to take off is a brace that goes to the alternator.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:20 PM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

ill take a look from that angle. sure would be easier than taking off the dang manifold

Old 01-05-2008, 08:14 PM
LN323

Oooooh, let us know how it goes. I need to attempt this also and I am also curious as to the easiest way. If the bracket to the alternator is removed (I haven't looked yet) does the tension on the belt have to be re-adjusted?

Also, what plugs are you going to use?

Old 01-06-2008, 12:43 AM
next2pool
Professional

This is always a hot topic and we don't always agree. I replaced the rears from underneath the car with lot's of flex drives and extensions--I did them by feel and it was a pita!! Since then I had to move the alternator for a different reason and saw that would be a great way to get to the back passenger sideplug. After that I had to remove the upper intake plenum to replace the gasket, and discovered that gives almost total access to the rear plugs. I previously removed the wiper module per the shop manual and that was a total waste of time. So--if I ever have to do it again, I will loosen the alternator and swing it back, remove the upper intake plenum--and go for it. I'm basing that on time and ease of removing , and re-installing stuff.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:26 PM
jubadah

If you have a shop lift that lets you stand under the vehicle then removing the plugs from underneath is the quickest way, although you may have to remove the alternatorto remove the first plug from above. If you are on your back under the vehicle it is quite difficult, since you cannot snake your arms around the obstructions as easily.

For me at home the easiest way is to remove the plenum from the intake mainifold. Althoughwhen doing this after I had everything disconnected, I could not clear the wiper transmission box/tray to lift the plenum out of the vehicle. Removing the wiper transmission box/tray is not that big of deal. Just pop off both wiper arms, remove the cowl apron, remove about 8 sheet metal screws, unplug the wiring harness and disconnect the drain hoses on both sides of the tray. This would be a good time to clean any debris out of the tray and drain hoses.

With the plenum removed you will have unobstructed access to the plugs. One bonus of doing it this way is that you can properly torque the spark plugs instead of reefing on a buch of universals from underneath. Now would also be a good time to service the injectors and/or injector seals since you will also have unobstructed access to them also with the plenum removed.Also think about replacing the plug wires at this time.

Removing the plenum to acces the rear plugs is a little more time consuming than other methods, but is well worth it in the frustration department. The cost of a new plenum gasket is about $3.00 at the dealer.

Enjoy!

Old 01-19-2008, 03:14 PM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

i planned on the plugs too. one of these days ill get around to it. doing a little bodywork right now on it. maybe after im done with that mess ill get to the plugs/wires.
silly question, but plenum is the manifold looking thing that comes off the top and towards the rear??? thanks alot fellas (and gals?)

Old 01-20-2008, 04:50 AM
webbee
Professional

If you put the front end on jack stands and go from underneath it's doable. The engine should be cold as you are reaching around the manifold, exhaust pipe and the cat. I got all three without moving the alternator, two from below and I think I got the front one out the top, using a long extension and perhaps the swivel. I used extensions (plain and wobbles) also I remember using a swivel. It's mostly by feel and it helps to blow the holes out with air before removing the plugs. There was a lot of crap on mine. It's a PITA job, as you get cuts and bruises, crap falls on your face, being double jointed helps and able to work blind is a must. Other than that, it's pretty straight forward...

Using anti-seize on the plug threads makes the next removal much easier and protects from welding the spark plug to the aluminum head. A faux pas among the mechanical crowd.

Personally I don't like removing the top end to service the rear plugs. Seems like a lot of extra work when it's doable from below. Other people think the upper removal method is the only way to go.

I used NGK platinums and so far I like them. There's lots of Champion double platinum fanboys too. A lot of the Dodge pick-up guys like the Autolite double platinums. So you have choices. Platinums supposedly go 100K but probably more realistically, 75K...in my limited experience.

Your right, that's the plenum your describing.

Quick Reply: getting to the rear plugs