Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Diesel Caravan?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 11:15 PM
Clipper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel Caravan?

Howdy, all...

I have seen several swaps in chat groups of the Mitsubishi 4D55 diesel (offered in mid-80's Dodge D50 pickups) being swapped in to replace a 2.6 liter Mitsubishi engine.

What I have NOT seem is anyone who has done this into a FWD vehicle, such as a Caravan, which had the same 2.6 Mitsu gas engine (the 4G54 aka G54B engine.)

Has anybody heard of someone doing this swap into a FWD car? Has anybody here DONE this swap? Thanks...

Found an interesting YouTube on the subject...a guy swapped a JETTA engine AND TRANSMISSION into his Caravan...chopped the axles off, made sleeves and welded them to the Jetta axles. Kinda cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkf4cxAaTmA

Old 01-11-2008, 05:28 PM
vlmuke
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Diesel Caravan?

the problem is with the tranny diesel engines rpm range is like 0-3500 where a gas engine is 0-6000 so there is a gearing issue involved that would make things difficult if they made a fwd tranny geared for a diesel you would probably see more the them the other option would see if Chrysler made a fwd diesel for export to Europe as the diesel is real popular in Europe so you might want to look overseas to see if you might be able to have and engine tranny combo shipped to you the only bad thing is right now diesel fuel is more expensive than gas right now where I live diesel is 3.68-3.78 a gallon where as gas is only 3.07

Quick Reply: Diesel Caravan?