Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

96 caravan wont run ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 05:16 PM
satit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 caravan wont run ???

Hello, I new tothe forums and the site looks very nice. Ok now to the problem. I have a 1996 caravanand it was running fine and one day I parked it for about 2 days and went to start it on the third dayand it just turns over thats it. So I bought a Auto scanner and it shows nothing. So I did the built in diagnostics test ( the key on key off 3 times) there was nothing showed there. Then someone told me to replace the cam position sensor so I did that. Im still here with a sick van can anyone help thanks hope to here from you soon.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:01 PM
vlmuke
Professional
Default RE: 96 caravan wont run ???

check for spark, then fuel

Old 01-14-2008, 10:31 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

If you have a 3.0 Liter, remove the cap and be sure it is dry inside.When the cap gets damp inside the cap, it just doesn't want to start.But do ck for spark and fuel pressure as well.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:33 PM
chopper
Veteran

Most likely it'll turn out to be a dead fuel pump.
Try to crank the engine or just turn the key to the "run" position.This should charge the fuel system with pressurized fuel.Turn the key back to the "off" position.
Go to the fuel rail (where the injectors are) and look for a schrader fitting,it looks like a tire valve and will probably have a black plastic cap screwed onto it,and press down the little stem that sticks up in the center.Use something to shield your eyes and catch any loose fuel that might spray out.
If gas sprays out you're in some luck,the fuel pump is probably good.If no fuel pressure is evident a trick is to bang under the gas tank with a board or tire tool to get the pump to work again.The reason this might work is the brushes in the pump motor wear out and lose contact with the commutator.The banging will sometimes let them make contact and allow the motor to run again.This is only a temporary fix! Use this borrowed time to either take the van to a shop for replacement of the fuel pump or to a store to buy one to replace yourself.The van could quit running at any time so be ready to call a tow truck or to bang on the gas tank again!The reason this happens is the road vibrations keep the brushes against the commutator.Every fuel pump I've had go bad died in my driveway.
If this isn't the problem,pull a spark plug wire andplace a screwdriver blade inside the boot.Have someone crank the enginewhile you watch or listen for a spark.If you get no spark it could be any one of several sensors orone of the ignition coils.This willjust about have to be diagnosed in a shop to figure out which thing to replace.
Repost and let us know how you're doing with this and we'llhelp out if we can.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:55 AM
satit

Ok thanks guys. I checked we got spark and you can smell fuel I checked and the fuel rail for what chopper said but didnt see the thing to check the pressure of the fuel but itwas getting dark outside.Any Ideals?? Could it still be getting fuel but the pump be bad?? Because I can hear the pump kick on then stops.

Quick Reply: 96 caravan wont run ???