Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2008 Grand Caravan Power Side Door Problems

Old 08-29-2009, 02:50 PM
JB_boston
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT Sliding Door Problems

I have had problems with the doors since owning the vehicle. I brought it to the regional manager and was told that there is nothing wrong with them. I video taped them not working though ...... too large to post here, see it on facebook.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:31 PM
rolfsb
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This problem IS caused by a faulty wire harness. I have replaced mine 3 times (2005 Grand Caravan). The part is $130 and takes about 15 minutes to remove/install. See my posts in the "sticky" section...

Good luck.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:15 AM
bberretta

I know this thread is a few months old, but has anyone found a solution to the 2008 door issue? I know it's not the snake cable- had it replaced twice. I know it's not the controller flash- had that done four times. It is related to the angle at which the van is parked. The Service manager told me that there was nothing that could be done because the manual says something about the doors may not close while parked on a hill. Is this true? I have lost a great deal of trust in my local dealer and I'd like some trustworthy advice from the experts around here!

Old 03-20-2010, 08:22 AM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

tell ya manager his full of sh%T. so now ya avoid parking on kills cause of doors dont close. tell him that if you drive off with doors open think cop agree on it? or should i leave my doors open so they can steal my goods? to BS they should close regardless lame excuse to not find the problem. just be persistant. keep calling the chrysler canada. keep at dealer. its under warranty. untill they replace all wiring, all modules, and all doors with all door hardware they caint say it normal.

also try reporting this under the nhtsa. if you went in to them to fix it more than 3 x for the same issue aint it law there lemon. could try to fight them on that too.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:56 PM
wong3075

Chrysler released another TSB at the end of last year to further correct the sliding door false reversals by updating the software on the power sliding door modules. Have dealer to perform the latest TSB.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:38 PM
TWGORN
Default 2008 Dodge Caravan - No electric on side door

Our sliding side door would work sometimes and not the next, then the window would work sometimes and not the next. After about 2 weeks all of the electric in the door is off - automatic door, window, lights to controls, etc. We checked the fuse and it's OK. Wiring looks OK, nothing damaged visibly, any ideas?

Old 01-28-2013, 01:27 PM
MaximilionFriday
Default Issues with cables and harness -- not recall though

I have a 2008 Grand Caravan, that the sliding doors were an issue from almost the beginning

I was overjoyed about the recall, figured the would fix the cables and stuff too.

did not happen, but the safety recalled replacement track is some plastice chain thing that fell apart almost immediatly. That is not terrible, becasue they will replace that forever.. or untill it doesnt break -- i guess...

anyway, has anyone had issues with the actual tracks and cables coming off the doors? or any fix on those? besides the dealerships?

Old 04-06-2013, 12:38 PM
5kfitchww

I have the same issue, the driver side door isn't working, it worked randomly for a moment just long enough for my daughter to roll the window down, now its stuck...

Old 04-07-2013, 11:31 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Here is the lastest TSB.
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 08-011-08, DATED
MARCH 15, 2008, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. THIS IS A
COMPLETE REVISION AND NO ASTERISKS HAVE BEEN USED.
THE wiTECH DIAGNOSTIC APPLICATION IS THE PREFERRED METHOD FOR
FLASHING ECUs.
HELP USING THE wiTECH DIAGNOSTIC APPLICATION FOR FLASHING AN ECU IS
AVAILABLE BY SELECTING “HELP” THEN “HELP CONTENTS” AT THE TOP OF
THE wiTECH DIAGNOSTIC APPLICATION WINDOW.
THE wiTECH SOFTWARE LEVEL MUST BE AT RELEASE 10.01 OR HIGHER TO
PERFORM THIS PROCEDURE.
StarMOBILE DESKTOP CLIENT or StarSCAN MAY ALSO BE USED TO PERFORM
THIS PROCEDURE.
StarMOBILE STANDALONE IS NOT SUPPORTED AND StarSCAN IS NOT
SUPPORTED FOR 2010 MODEL YEAR VEHICLES.
SUBJECT:
Flash: Power Sliding Door Module - Overly Sensitive Obstruction Detection
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves verifying there are no mechanical conditions that may lead to slow
door operation, making mechanical corrections as necessary and Flash Reprogramming
both Power Sliding Door Module's (PSDM).
MODELS:
2008 - 2010 (RT) Caravan/Town & Country
2008 - 2010 (RT) Chrysler Grand Voyager (International Markets)
NOTE: This bulletin applies to models with Power Sliding Doors (Sales Code
JRA/JRB) built prior to November 16, 2009 (MDH1116XX).
NUMBER: 08-017-09
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: October 27, 2009
NOTE: If a power sliding door module is replaced for any reason, it is important to
check the software level of the replaced module and flash update to the latest
software level. Verify part numbers prior to and after update to assure update
has successfully completed.
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some customers may experience the power sliding door intermittently not fully closing
when activated with either the key fob or switches located in the vehicle. The door will
begin the closing process but then reverses at any point without any obvious obstruction or
reason. The doors will close manually with no apparent problem.
If the door slows below a threshold during the power close sequence, the system may
misinterpret this as an obstruction and reverse the doors direction to open. The detection
threshold may be overly sensitive.
The new software will provide revised parameters for power sliding door obstruction
detection but it is important to note the software cannot compensate for mechanical
problems that can cause the door to slow during a power close sequence.
DIAGNOSIS:
Using a Scan Tool (wiTECH®) with TechCONNECT and the appropriate Diagnostic
Procedures, verify all door systems are functioning as designed. If DTC's are present,
record them on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding further with this
bulletin.
If the customer describes the Symptom/Condition or it can be reproduced, perform the
Repair Procedure.
POWER SLIDING DOOR MECHANICAL CHECK:
NOTE: The door must be aligned and move freely / smoothly manually before
proceeding with the Flash Update.
1. Before performing the Flash Repair, mechanically check the door(s) to make sure they
move smoothly on their tracks. Manually open and close the doors feeling for any
binding or roughness. Make the following checks:
a. Strikers are in Line.
b. Lower hinge tensioner is in place and tight.
c. Center hinge roller is aligned and not binding.
d. No obstructions exist (examples - out of place weatherstrip, miss-routed or tight wire
harness or any other condition that could cause the door to slow or bind during the
power closing process).
e. Check door fit, flushness, and gaps. These can contribute to obstruction sensitivity.
2. Follow the procedures found in DealerCONNECT>TechCONNECT to make door
adjustments as required.
NOTE: Use standard labor operations for any mechanical adjustments required.
08-017-09 -2-
FLASH REPAIR PROCEDURE:
NOTE: If this flash process is interrupted/aborted, the flash should be restarted.
1. Reprogram the Power Sliding Door Modules (both sides) with the latest software. The
flash process will update the right and left modules. After reprogramming, the
following must be performed:
a. Clear any DTC's that may have been set in other modules due to reprogramming.
The wiTECH application will automatically present all DTCs after the flash and allow
the tech to clear them.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:46 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Master Tech - Maybe I'm blind. Do you have the TSB number and date for this TSB? Someone on another forum is screaming for help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 Grand Caravan Power Side Door Problems