Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

97 Caravan..99K Miles..Shoudl I keep her or let her go

Old 08-31-2006, 01:46 AM
kam1996
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Caravan..99K Miles..Shoudl I keep her or let her go

Hey guys:

I am a frequent visitor to this forum and have learnt quite a bit about my Caravan.
Here is my situation,

My 1997 Caravan ES 4 door with 3.0 liter engine has 99K miles on it. I bought it with 77K miles 3 years ago and have used it as a 2nd car/kid hauler.
I know that the 100K service is coming up, form what I understand I have ot get the Timing belt done. I am also advised to get the water pump done. The upper and lower seals are leaking oil so I have ot get that done while I am at it. The total estimate for the job is $945.00 plus tax.
For the last 1000 miles, the van has developed a shake around 35 mpg, first i thought it was wheel balancing, but it goes away as soon as I get off the gas, so I am wondering if its axle/drivetrain related.
3rd issue is that I can feel what I can only explain as "slippage" of transmission when i take off from dead stop, it feels like for a fraction of a second the engine revved and then teh tranny caught up..
With all these issues in mind, I am wondering if investing $1000 or mor einto the van is a smart thing to do.
I am hoping that some of the caravan Gurus on this page can help me out, and advise me on teh issues I am having with teh van.
Thank you .

Old 08-31-2006, 02:16 PM
chopper
Veteran
Default RE: 97 Caravan..99K Miles..Shoudl I keep her or let her go

I didn't think the 3.0 V6 had a timing belt.Pushrod V engines use a timing chain and a single camshaft in the valley between the cylinders.Unless I'm wrong about this I'd leave it alone.
The water pump if it's not leaking out of the weep hole is still in good shape and doesn't need replaced.I'd leave this alone also.
Oil leaks are nothing to worry about unless you are losing oil and must add more than two quarts between changes.
The last two problems are different!These are more pressing problems and need to be addressed.The CV joint/s could be going bad.If the car makes a clicking noise or feel going around turns this is most likely the culprit.
The slipping and grabbing transmission could be low fluid or a weak pump,it could also just be the nature of the beast.My wife's van will do this if you stop abruptly and take off again with little or no time spent sitting still.
Bottom line is I personally wouldn't spend a bunch of money on the van and would keep it until it does something terminal.My van has leaks and makes noises and the paint is coming off but since Mrs.Chopper gets a severe case of sticker shock everythime we go to a car lot the van stays.It gets 30 mpg on the road I drive to work and it's been pretty trouble free.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:42 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran

The 3.0 does use a rubber band for timing. At 100k I'd change it. LLabor for the water pump should not be huge since to do the belt they're already there. Vibration you describe could be cv's . $1000 is cheaper than buying a $6000 one for the amount you've driven in 3 yrs. Good luck

Old 08-31-2006, 02:57 PM
kam1996

Chopper:

Thank you for your reply, which made me quite happy for about 5 mins till I confirmed that my van DOES have a belt and not a chain.
The van does require close to 2 quarts of oil between oil changes but its not leaking that much at all, its burning that oil.
Floorslayer: Thanks, you are right..I just have to figure out how much all this is going to cost me..I am still worried about the tranny..people keep telling me Dodge trannies go around 100K..

Old 08-31-2006, 03:09 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran

Those 3.0 motors were common for burning oil because of sepage by the valve guides. Doing the heads to stop this can be an expensive job on it's own. Unless it's leaving a cloud of smoke behind you at every stop sign i wouldn't worry about it. Tranny to me sounds like a fluid & filter change is in order.

Old 09-03-2006, 02:18 AM
greaseangel
Professional

If it comforts you at all, my 97 3.0 has 215K miles on the original motor and tranny. I would go ahead and have the timing belt service and water pump replaced. Water pump's only about 20 bucks, so might as well have it done while the whole damn thing is disassembled. I failed to do the timing belt, and was left stranded on the side of the highway at 630 AM last winter, with my husband and three kids, the smallest being not quite 2. My mechanic did the belt and water pump service, as well as replaced the pipe leaving the water pump (be sure to check that pipe, mine was rusted at the joint) for 400. I shopped around for parts, and Auto Zone sold me all but the pipe for about 60. The pipe was a dealer item, and was about 25. So, just under 500 total. Only thing was, I paid 85 to have it towed to the mechanic. So, might as well save the tow charge and have the service done. That's been my most expensive repair to date, I've done all other service and repair myself. It's worth the money to keep the van, as long as you can do most of the work. I just don't see the sense in paying labor for things that anyone who's not afraid to get dirty can do. Seals you can probably do yourself. I replaced all the oil and tranny seals myself. I needed a dozen showers after, but I did it. I vote for keeping it.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:32 PM
RZiggyservices

I currently own a 92' 3.3L Caravan. at about 193k miles right now, have the same vibration issues. after reading up in the good ol manual, I would have to agree that the C/V joints are becoming bad. thankfully you have a caravan with the 3.0. a relative in my family has a 91' dodge caravan 3.0L V6 that has well over 260k on it, with the original tranny, and runs great! in fact, it not only runs better than mine, it's also a lot cleaner (being vehicles from Minnesota, they take a beating in the winter.) even just taking a trip to u-pull our parts shows how many 3.3L's have been left for dead at around 200k. last time I was at that place, there were 20 caravans, 18 of them 3.3L engines with their odomoters roughly at 200k, and there was 4 3.0L's which I didnt look at cuz i needed parts for my 3.3. if you can throw another 1000 into your van now, you might get a hell of a lot more use out of it than you think. just please.... DONT BUY THE 3.3!!! its a powerful engine, but the tranny problems are so common, (me having its 2nd tranny put in at 150k) that it just might be a lost cause. I am currently looking for a 94 caravan with the 3.0L to replace my beater vehic, but I dont want to go for a 96-00 cuz I have talked to many people and witnessed first hand the electrical issues that seem to plague the newer models.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:53 AM
dishdude2k
Captain

ORIGINAL: RZiggyservices

I currently own a 92' 3.3L Caravan. at about 193k miles right now, have the same vibration issues. after reading up in the good ol manual, I would have to agree that the C/V joints are becoming bad. thankfully you have a caravan with the 3.0. a relative in my family has a 91' dodge caravan 3.0L V6 that has well over 260k on it, with the original tranny, and runs great! in fact, it not only runs better than mine, it's also a lot cleaner (being vehicles from Minnesota, they take a beating in the winter.) even just taking a trip to u-pull our parts shows how many 3.3L's have been left for dead at around 200k. last time I was at that place, there were 20 caravans, 18 of them 3.3L engines with their odomoters roughly at 200k, and there was 4 3.0L's which I didnt look at cuz i needed parts for my 3.3. if you can throw another 1000 into your van now, you might get a hell of a lot more use out of it than you think. just please.... DONT BUY THE 3.3!!! its a powerful engine, but the tranny problems are so common, (me having its 2nd tranny put in at 150k) that it just might be a lost cause. I am currently looking for a 94 caravan with the 3.0L to replace my beater vehic, but I dont want to go for a 96-00 cuz I have talked to many people and witnessed first hand the electrical issues that seem to plague the newer models.
check your motor mounts.. i would be willing to bet the rubber gromet is torn .. hence.. when your on the gas.. it shakes.. when you let off. it stops.. the motor is rocking.. look at them close.. i had a 92 caravan that it happenedtoo.. i was told cv axles.. changed them in a motel parking lot on vacation.. to no avail.. someone told me transmission.. nope.. not that.. ended up the motor mounts.. i replaced all 3 of em.. and boom.. ran smooth as a new road

Old 02-24-2008, 07:18 PM
greaseangel
Professional

Wonder if he ended up keeping it? Mine's at 250K now, still no major motor or tranny probs.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:23 PM
HemiMan02
Professional

I just thought I would put my 2 cents in here. If your going to buy a new vehicle the 3.3 would be just fine. Everything has the lifetime powertrain warrenty right now. I just bought the 08 caravan and plan to have it for the next 30+ years. Might go through a couple of trannies but hey who cares when its on Chrysler. (just make sure you do you scheduled maintenence)

Search this Thread