Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Remove thensioner pulley

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 05:23 AM
Lopro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove thensioner pulley

I have a 97 Caravan LE 3.3L. I want to replace the idler pulley and the tentioner pulley (just the pulley, not the entire tentioner assembly). I have replaced the idler pulley before, but how do you remove the tentioner pulley? Do you just rotate the the bolt holding on the tentioner pulley counter-clockwise to remove the pulley from the tentioner? I'm concerned because I dont want to break the tentioner or the tentioner spring.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:33 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran
Default RE: Remove thensioner pulley

I've replace two of the tensionerassemblies on 3.3's and i seem to recall that you would need to remove the assembly to do it. Are you doing the pully upgrade because your belt is lipping off? There might be an upgraded assembly, because i know there is an upgraded aftermarket pully.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:34 PM
Lopro

Yep, the belt is slipping off. I have found the kit for around $122, but since the tentioner still has good tention, I thought I could do it a little cheaper by just replacing the pulley's at @ $20 each. I think if I bought the kit, I would need to take it in to a shop since I cant get to the tentioner mount bolt from the top of the engine compartment. So does thepulley on the tentioneractually have a nut on the back of the bolt? Or is it just a bolt holding it on like the idler pulley?

Old 02-17-2008, 05:17 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran

It's been a couple of years, but as I remember, there was anut on the backside of the pully bolt. So either way the tensioner (i'M 90% Sure) has to come off). You are absolutely right that you can't get to the tensioner assembly mounting nut from topside. It's a 13mm and you need a series of wobble extensions and a bunch of patience to go around the exhaust and such and blindly feel your way to the nut. Don't worry though,I'm sure you can do it. For what it's worth , if you have to take the assembly off, I'd replace it.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:27 PM
Lopro

Thanks floorslayer1. I think I'll go the safe route and go with the kit. Thanks again!

Old 02-18-2008, 10:54 AM
next2pool
Professional

I'm pretty sure the pulley will come off the tensioner just by loosening the bolt in a counterclockwise direction. Also, I removed the whole assembly quite easily from below. You can feel the nut on the backside and get a wrench or socket on it with no problem--much easier than removing the plugs.

Quick Reply: Remove thensioner pulley