Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

why is the sliding door lock not working automatically anymore? 05 caravan

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 01:26 PM
scotter5
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

powerstroke--i looked at amazon and cheapest price i saw was 44 bucks. when did you buy yours

Old 01-02-2012, 10:49 AM
06powerstroke

Scotter5, when I mentioned aftermarket, I really should have said universal. Sorry for the confusion there. I pulled the panel off this morning and I'm posting two pics of it. Hope this helps. Oh yeah, and THANKS for the kind remarks. I'm a shade-tree mechanic myself, and these type forums have a wealth of information for people like us. I'm always happy to contribute where I can, in return for people like you that have made my life so much easier!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/73425028@N08/6620584245/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/73425028@N08/6620584359/

I had trouble uploading the images, so I'm posting links to them.

Last edited by 06powerstroke; 01-02-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:50 AM
scotter5
Veteran

Hey 06. Happy New Year. The blue object looks like a kids squirt gun in the pic. BTW thanks for providing the pic.

I'm a little ignorant about the word "universal" when applying to the part you bought to fix the problem. What is the name of the object? Is that the actuator itself?

And if you recall, where can i go to buy that, amazon. What name (s) should I type in to see it?

Old 01-03-2012, 11:48 AM
scotter5
Veteran

Hey 06. I googled in more and I found what "universal" is. Yeah, I am no longer ignorant in something, but there is still so much more. I sure don't feel confident about so many things when working on cars as I get older. ONe thing i always concern my self with is snapping bolt heads. This gets me neurotic.

Again, happy new year, really mean it.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:46 PM
myGC
Default Motor for 2006 GC

Any more word on using the fc-280pt-20150 motor in a 2006 GC?

Originally Posted by NH_USA
Caution -- That motor does not fit the 2006 GrandCaravan door lock.
The shaft has to extend from the other end (the end opposite the plastic shield).

I just spent about and hour taking the door apart switching the gear and learned the hard way!

BTW - pulling the gear can be a pain. In my case the shaft pulled out of the motor so I finally had to clamp the shaft in the vice to get the gear off.

I asked the Ebay guy if he had motors with the shaft at the opposite end.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:15 AM
Ferrino

Originally Posted by myGC
Any more word on using the fc-280pt-20150 motor in a 2006 GC?
I would also like to know if this is the correct motor to use, please. Just picked up an '05 GC and the driver's side sliding door will not lock under power.

Thanks!

Old 02-20-2013, 10:38 AM
shedwards1
Default 2001 Caravan drivers side sliding door works intermittently

My driver's side sliding door only works on occasion and seems to work more often during cold weather. All the other doors work with the power locks and it will work on this sliding door but only when it wants too. You cannot unlock manually with your hands or even with the key it will not unlock. What could be wrong since it does work sometimes? Hoping for an easy, not too expensive fix. Thanks.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:50 PM
Caravanor

My driver's side has a non-power-sliding-door. The power-door-lock including the black plug at the top of the door is stuck in the down position. I have all the rear seats removed and have some equipment on the left side of the van covering the left door so I rarely need to open that door.

If I remove the actuator, open it and remove the motor, can I just close it back-up and the door will then work normally in manual-only mode (in other words I can lock/unlock by raising/lowering the door lock plug? Would I need to also do some other modification?

Thanks!

Last edited by Caravanor; 06-08-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:46 AM
myGC

Yes, I think that will work. As you said you'll have to remove the motor and gears from inside the actuator. Then re install the empty actuator, since it is the link from the manual rod to the lock.

The hard part will be removing the frozen actuator. Since you can't remove the lock assembly with the door closed. And right now you can't manually open the door.

You'll have to remove the inner door plastic. Then drill through the metal inside of the door to get to the one screw that hold the actuator in. This is can be done, just did it last week on mine. It's a smaller torx screw and you can see the screw from the large opening next to the actuator. Just carefully line up your drill bit and put the torx driver through that hole you drilled.

Then the linkage to the manual rod needs to be disconnected. Just rotate the plastic lock and pull the rod out of the actuator. It has a 90 bend at the end to pivot on. Good luck!

Why dodge don't put a hole there!!!???

Originally Posted by Caravanor
My driver's side has a non-power-sliding-door. The power-door-lock including the black plug at the top of the door is stuck in the down position. I have all the rear seats removed and have some equipment on the left side of the van covering the left door so I rarely need to open that door.

If I remove the actuator, open it and remove the motor, can I just close it back-up and the door will then work normally in manual-only mode (in other words I can lock/unlock by raising/lowering the door lock plug? Would I need to also do some other modification?

Thanks!

Old 06-09-2013, 09:55 AM
myGC

FYI I tried purchasing on eBay a replacement motor. I received a motor with no splines on the shaft. Too short of a shaft. And reversed wiring.

I still got it to work on my broken door lock actuator.
I torched off the brass screw gear and chiseled in some splines on the new motor along with some loctight. Flipped the wires in the connector to get it to run the right way.

After all that hassle it worked for 5 months. Don't bother.

I didn't feel like repairing a third time so I went right for the mopar replacment. Maybe the doorman part is OK? But it has some negative reviews. And I'm just done with working on it!

Quick Reply: why is the sliding door lock not working automatically anymore? 05 caravan