Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

My 1997 Dodge Caravan just dies...

Old 04-09-2010, 04:33 PM
singerray
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 1997 Dodge Caravan just dies...

I bought a 1997 Dodge Caravan about 2 years ago and it's been a great vehicle, except ever now and then it just dies while I'm rolling down the road. I just shift to neutral and restart it. I suspect it's a wiring problem because it starts right back up again with no problem. It doesn't do it all the time, just once in a while. It's been doing it for 2 years now. Anyone got any ideas about where I should look. I've had the code computer put on it but it can't find anything, I assume because it's an intermittent problem that clears it's self. I'm thinking it's a bad wire somewherethat opens and then closes right back, but I don't know where to start. Could it be a bad relay?

Thanks,
Ray

Old 04-09-2010, 05:03 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could be anything. Are you decel, accel, cruising, all of the above?

Old 04-09-2010, 11:51 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Hi Ray
Ck the crank sensor wires, I have seen the wires melt together and cause some problem with stalling or no start. But you should be setting a stored code.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:21 AM
singerray
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankshaft position sensor or Cam sensor

Thanks, man.

Question...
I've read that an RF signal can cause the Crankshaft position sensor to cut out and will cause the van to die. I have noticed that it seems to die in the same place on the road once in a while (near a state park entrance.)

The Crankshaft Position Sensor isn't the same as the Cam Position sensor is it? I do remember the code for a Cam Sensor came up once when I first got the van. Can a cam position sensor cause the same problems? I've also read that either parts should be replaced with Original Factory parts, or gas milage could suffer.

Ray

Old 04-10-2010, 11:24 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Cam is is on the front of the engine and the crank sensor is on the rear bolted to the transmission.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 1997 Dodge Caravan just dies...