Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

looking at a 96 Caravan tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 11:23 PM
Nofrag
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking at a 96 Caravan tomorrow

I know that it's a short 96 with 3.0 and I think 2 wheel drive, has dual sliders so I'll assume it's an SE not a base. Guys says it's loaded, so I'll assume that it has most of the options, although strangely enough the bumpers aren't painted and it has steel wheels. He also says the engine has a knock(I'm not deterred because he only wants $350). So other than tracking down that knock, what should I be looking for?

http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...QAdIdZ78327886

Old 10-05-2008, 08:36 PM
Nofrag
Champion

Update, I went today to look at it and I think I know what the noise is, I couldn't hear it because it wouldn't start. He described what happened, he was doing roughly 120km/h on the highway, everything was fine, and then all the sudden the engine started making banging/knocking noises. He thinks it's a rod bearing, but I know better, what he described was a broken timing belt causing unknown levels of destruction. I'll almost guarantee when I pull the heads I'm going to find bent or broken valves. Yes, that means I'm buying it, being that it'll have to be towed I'm getting it for $250-300 depending on tow cost.

There is a wrecking yard about an hour from here that is having a sale this week, any engine or transmission for $60, I'm bound to find a 3.0 from 96-00 in the yard. The only issue I'm going to have is lifting the van off of the k frame for the swap.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:31 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pay attention to the upper strut mount.
They like to rot out in the tower area in those years.

It can be fixed but it's labor intensive.
Good luck

Old 10-05-2008, 09:56 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you only think that its a timing belt issue,i would pull the timing belt access panel and look at it...it wouldnt start, or it wouldnt turn over?

Old 10-05-2008, 10:40 PM
Nofrag
Champion

Well he tried to crank it, but it resisted, he put the charger on it and had me come back an hour later. After that the starter wouldn't even click, I've been thinking about that and I guess it's possible that a jammed up timing belt could have been keeping it from cranking and burned out the starter. I'm buying it regardless because of the price and condition of the rest of the van, it's in really good shape other than the engine. So the first thing I'll do when I get it home is remove the front outer upper(lol) timing cover and see if the belt has tension or if it's even still up there lol. If it's there and has tension I'll look into possible bottom end issues. If not I'll pull the heads and see how much damage was done.

Is it possible to remove the rear head without dropping the engine out?

Old 10-05-2008, 11:20 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i mean, if you plan on replacing the engine, its not an issue...but i would at least try to roll the engine by hand before buying it.

and 60 bucks for any engine and trans???

Old 10-06-2008, 12:29 AM
Nofrag
Champion

lol yup, that's why I don't care about a **** motor lol

Old 10-06-2008, 06:00 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you can remove the rear head in the van.
Remove the wiper cowl assy and you will have much more room.

Good luck

Old 10-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Nofrag
Champion

I have one more question, I may not be able to use a shop with a lift if I do need to pull the engine, can an engine swap be done from above, rather than lifting the van off of the k-frame? That way I can just rent an engine hoist.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:11 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

I just finished pulling and putting back in my 3.3 I had to drop it out the bottom. but i did not remove the K frame from underneith. biggest issue was putting all the bolts back. I have one extra which is pretty good.

Quick Reply: looking at a 96 Caravan tomorrow