Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2008 Grand Caravan winter wheels & TPMS problems.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:10 AM
Timbit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2008 Grand Caravan winter wheels & TPMS problems.

Hey folks. Was I the only one in for a nasty surprise when purchasing a set of steel wheels & winter tires for the 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan?
I've learned the '08 models have a new 16" wheel with a 5 on 5 bolt pattern, and a new uncommon tire size (225/65 R16). I'm told they used the same wheel & tire size for the last 20 years, but for some reason they felt compelled to change it on the '08 model, which means:
- It cost me a fortune for the wheels as no knock offs are available yet.
- Michelin isn't delivering any of their X-ice II tires in that size into Canada this year.
- My best local option was to go with a set of 235/60 R16 Nokian RSI tires.
(No great winter tires available in the 225/65 R16 size here).
- The local tire dealers insist on installing tire pressure monitor sensors (TPMS) on the wheels. These are not cheap either.

Got them all mounted up and installed on the van, and now the TPMS isn't working properly. The tire shop said the vehicle would pick up the new sensors & re-program after driving it over 25km/hr for up to 10 minutes.

I adjusted the cold tire pressures, and I drove the vehicle continuously at highway speeds for about 15 minutes and the system still isn't working. I'm continuing to get the chime and the TPMS warning light.

I'm taking it in to the tire shop tomorrow to give them a chance to sort it out. If they can't do it, I guess I'll be calling the dealer.

By next year there should be several good options for winter tires in the stock size. Had to get something good to get the family safely through this winter though.

Anyone else had problems with new wheels & TPM sensors? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 10-23-2008, 05:11 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm pretty sure you need to retrain the vehicle for new TPM sensors.
Check your owners manual. We used to do it with a round magnet that fit over the valve stem. There should be a magnet included with your jack.
Unless they changed the system on Chrysler's. It's been a few years...

Old 10-24-2008, 12:16 AM
Timbit
Default Off to the dealer it is.

The tire shop couldn't sort out the problem.
The owners manual says nothing about retraining the TPM System for new sensors. It only covers off what to do if you have a fault with the original equipment.
Made an appointment with the dealer for Monday, and the tire shop is going to cover the cost.
Will post what the outcome of that is.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:53 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does your owners manual mention the TPM sensors in tire rotation procedure?
It's pretty much the same procedure.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:26 PM
eaglestorm
Professional

they probley installed the wrong freq sensor you need to get them from your dealer for your car. the dealer has a tool to tell you what freq is in your stock tires and can test your new sensors also they have to be the same

Last edited by eaglestorm; 10-25-2008 at 12:04 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:46 PM
1980blackfiveoh
Professional

Do you mean 225/65/17? That is what my wife 08 STX has anyway. Fortunatly, the stock tires are just fine for when we live.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:55 PM
Timbit
Default 2008 Grand Caravan winter wheels & TPMS problems.

Nope. The owners manual does not mention the TPM sensors in the rotation procedure. I read the thing from cover to cover. It mentions nothing about retraining the sensors. There is no magnet included with the vehicle jack.

There are several pages devoted to the TPM System (there are a couple different kinds on the '08 model year), with the summary being:

If you get a fault, adjust the cold tire pressures to that which is specified (36 psi), and the system will automatically update and the TPMS warning light will extinguish once the updated tire pressures have been received. The vehicle may need to be driven for up to 10 minutes above 25 km/hr to receive this information.

It says "the system has been optimized for original equipment tires & wheels, and that the TPMS pressures have been established for the tire size equipped, and that undesirable system operation or sensor damage may result when using replacement equipment that is not of the same size, type, and/or style. Aftermarket wheels can cause sensor damage. Do not use aftermarket sealants or balance beads as damage to the sensors may result." - I sure hope this isn't the case. I figured this was one of those general disclaimers they have to give, and unless doing something bizarre in the way of wheel/ tire size then there was likely no basis for it.

I'm obviously not really up to speed on exactly how these sensors work, but I'd be very surprised if the sensor sends out a different signal in conjunction with a 235/60 R16 tire at 36 psi than with a 225/65 R16 tire at 36 psi when installed on the same wheel.

I guess we'll see what the dealer says in a few days time. Can't wait.

I was willing to go without the sensors installed and to put up with the warning light in the first place. I better not have to see that warning light after spending $350 on the sensors insisted upon by the tire shops.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:06 PM
Timbit
Default Sensor Frequency

1980blackfiveoh - Nope. They're 16" aluminum mags on our model, so we went with a 16" steel wheel. I believe the 17" mags were another available option. Lucky guy living where it's warm. Jealous. Meantime I'm tuning up my snowblower and trying to prepare for another freakin winter.

eaglestorm - What you're saying about the sensor frequency would certainly make sense. The tire shop tested each one of the installed sensors and found them to be working properly, but they certainly wouldn't be picked up by the receiver if they're transmitting on a different frequency. I don't know how many different frequencies these systems use. I'm hoping the dealer will be able to get to the bottom of it as you say.

Otherwise I'll just pull the things off & return them to the tire shop. I don't mind regularly checking my own tire pressures. Been doing so for many years.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:10 AM
eaglestorm
Professional

there are 2 freq for sensors on the minivan take on of your take off tires with you so they can ck the freq is they dont have a reader they can break dowm the tire and read it off the sensor. They should be able to give you the coreect sensor just from parts. We never have to tell the parts guy what freq we need. but there reader can tell them what freq is in your take off and what is on the car now. My guess is wrong sensor

Old 10-25-2008, 06:50 PM
Timbit
Default Sensor Frequency

Thanks for the input eaglestorm. I'll definitely take one of my original wheels/tires with me to the dealer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 Grand Caravan winter wheels & TPMS problems.