Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1998 van like a caravan transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 04:08 PM
korbydoo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 van like a caravan transmission problems

hey i am working a 1998 plymouth what i think is a voyager or something like a t/c or a caravan... with a 3.8l v6 and a what i think is a 4lte transmission... it''s got the solenoid packs on it like it is one... when the owner is coming to a complete stop every once in a while the transmission seems to kick out of drive and go into neutral... i test drove it today and couldnt get it to act up. pulled codes to find if it''s a solenoid and something eles no codes relating... only egr flow code... he also said that when he goes to put it from park to drive it sometimes acts up and stays in neutral. he said when it is acting up and the transmission is in neutral he puts it in the 3 selection and it takes off just fine... also i performed a stall test on it and the engine revved up 2000 rpms what is the stall for that vehicle or round abouts, it didnt seem to high. i dont think it''s slipping... the trans fluid was just changes along with the filter another possibility, checked it and it''s full... i thought maybe it was a engine mount of a misadjusted cable linkage but that all seems good and tight... are there any tsbs and anything that i can check to find out what it could possibly be. if it was an internmintant short or open to one of the solonoids or anything eles to the transmission wouldnt it go into limp home mode and be in 3rd gear... this problem seems unreal but i guess it really is happening could it be inside of the tranny i have been inside of one before and i asked the owner if when he had his fluid changed did anyone say anything about there being anything in the fluid and he said no... idk i would really like to help him out if anyone has an idea i''m fresh out of them thanks

Old 11-28-2008, 04:57 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be the Low Reverse piston. It's pressurised off the pump. No solenoid action required. Sometimes you get a "loss of prime" code but not always. Usually acts up in colder weather.

There should be a TSB for new piston seals. They switched from lip to D-ring type seals. around that time
Overhaul time...

Old 11-28-2008, 08:22 PM
korbydoo

so pretty much what your saying is that the piston seals arnt cut or anything they are just inadequate for the job and when it's cold they are bleeding off resulting in what feals like neutral... he didnt really say anything about cold or hot engine... but he did say when he was on his way over to my place which is like 5 miles away many stops signs in between... he did say that about 50 feet after he started to drive he came to a stop and it what he said went into neutral... that is a 4lte right?

Old 11-29-2008, 12:13 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker

Sounds like a 41TE trans.
I'm a little concerned you don't know the model of the van though.
Plymouth Voyager, Dodge Caravan, etc
Is this thing some oddball?

Old 11-29-2008, 09:28 AM
korbydoo

no it's not i took a look at it and i saw it was a plymouth and i didnt know what chrysler called their series of plymouth vans and i knew it was pretty much the same thing as a chrysler tc and a dodge caravan its a plymouth voyager... i'm going to offer him a complete rebuild on the transmission are there any springs that hold on the 2-4 clutches or the low reverse that i should get a special tool for... or any other type of special tool that will help in the rebuild... like i said i have been inside of a 4lte before it has just been a while i am also getting a atsg book on it, but i was just curious if there are any special tools that i will need

Old 11-29-2008, 01:31 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker

There are a few spring compressors that are very handy and will make life much easier.
Some of the pistons need to be compressed in the housing to install the snap rings.
There is also a tapered tool that helps protect the seals as you assemble the input clutch.

It can be reassembled with out these but it is difficult and the chance of damaging a seal is greater.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:50 PM
korbydoo

i have tore the entire transmission down and inspected all seals and wearable items... replace all of them but when inspecting couldnt seem to find anything wrong... replaced the l/r piston seals with new d ring seals... i was wondering if anyone has seen a problem with the range sensor... could that be causing the transmission not to shift into gear... because the manual valve doesnt move in or out past the point of overdrive, but when i put it into drive it seems to stay in neutral every so often then when placed into 3 it takes off and only when cold... idk it doesnt seem to me lilke a seal problem it seems like a valve body or a shift solenoid problem

Quick Reply: 1998 van like a caravan transmission problems